S/PDIF Question

thundercage

Do they make a S/PDIF to normal XLR microphone converter for under $100? The reason I ask is that I have 8 XLR inputs and 2 S/PDIF and would like to get a total of 10 to use in particular for drum recording.

SPDIF is a digital signal, and XLR an analog, so you need a AD/DA convertor.

I don't know that there are convertors made for that, but otherwise, I think the only solution is to buy a mixer with an SPDIF out on it, like the Soundcraft M-series.

What you want is a mic preamp with an onboard A/D converter. There are no shortage of those on the market (Apogee Mini Me, Envoice Mindprint with the digital I/O card, a DBX 386, etc).

The problem is getting them for under $100. If you want to pay about $100 per mic preamp, there's the new Firepod from Presonus. It has 8 preamps and a Firewire output for your pc.

If I understand you right, you want a box with one mic preamp and one output via spdif. ART makes such a box for just over $100. Then you will need one for every drum mic, if I understand. You must have like a spdif router or something. Does that help at all or are we all barking up the wrong tree?

MadAudio said:
No, S/PDIF is a digital interface. You can send either stereo or mono information through it.

I think we all know that S/PDIF is a digital interface. And yes, you can send either stereo or mono information through it. But for digital recording it would make sense to use it in stereo and split the two tracks with a dual mic preamp, instead of buying 2 preamps and using 2 S/PDIF inputs when you could use just one and save the other for something else. Unless you just don't want to. :D

t glyptic said:
I think we all know that S/PDIF is a digital interface. And yes, you can send either stereo or mono information through it. But for digital recording it would make sense to use it in stereo and split the two tracks with a dual mic preamp, instead of buying 2 preamps and using 2 S/PDIF inputs when you could use just one and save the other for something else. Unless you just don't want to. :D
I agree with everything you've suggested. All I was objecting to was the blanket statement "S/PDIF is stereo."

I have an ART DPSII (link posted above) and it would work for what you need. It's more than $100, but if you need a stereo pre with digital out, you won't find anything cheaper that I'm aware of. Try looking on E-Bay for one, or for the model before it, which is quite similar.

Thanks

futurestar said:
I have an ART DPSII (link posted above) and it would work for what you need. It's more than $100, but if you need a stereo pre with digital out, you won't find anything cheaper that I'm aware of. Try looking on E-Bay for one, or for the model before it, which is quite similar.

Thanks everyone. This is the information I needed.

Back