S/PDIF preamps? or XLR/TRS to S/PDIF?

brand0nized

The M-Audio Fast Track C400 is on sale at Sweetwater! $99!

I'm looking for a preamp that has S/PDIF out so I can get four inputs on this interface.

So far, the only ones I'm finding are over $250, and that's way out of my budget. I might as well get a four input interface with that money.

Does anyone know of preamps with s/pdif out at a low price, or a way to convert XLR/TRS outputs on regular preamps to go into S/PDIF?

Assuming you are talking about converting analog XLR/TRS outputs to digital S/PDIF, you are looking for AD conversion. You could either get a standalone AD converter or an interface with a preamp and AD converter built into the same unit like the $99 Fast Track C400. Prices can be all over the place on such units depending on quality, features, etc., so your best bet is to find a few in your price range and then search the forums for reviews as to which ones might best suit your needs.

I took a quick look at the Fast Track C400 and it looks like this unit already has four analog inputs -- two on the front and two on the back -- so I am not sure you need anything further to get the four analog inputs you seem to want. I am not sure if the S/PDIF inputs will allow you to use two more input sources or will trump two of the analog inputs like some units do. You may wish to check the manual on this point if you are hoping to get more than four input sources out of the C400.

Back