S.o.s!!!!!

nl553

Hey I am a beginner at recording and im wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice on recording vocals. I have a pretty good mic hooked up to the 4 track and I have that hooked in the mixer but I cant seem to get a good recording of vocals without a pre-amp and even with that it is not the best. I would like to know where the best place to record in a house is or any other advice anyone could give me

thanks

What type of mic ?

What type of mixer ?

How exactly is the vocal sounding bad ? (Hard to put sound into words, I know...but one must try :) )

pAp

I have 2 mics but I only use one because the other is just stupid ( no need to explain). The mic I do use is a unidirectional mic from radio shack (now I know I should have not bought it from there) but I have to make the best of what I have. It plugs directly into the 4 track. The 4 track is an old tascam recorder but it works better than any other track recorder I've ever had, and I have had a couple. The mixer is just there for the EQ. everything else is ok i have the key board going into the 4 track and the drum machine going into the 4 track

..well...first...new mic ;).

hmm...but..u can try to get a tube preamp. one of those art mt whatevers. perhaps that might help.

What about preamps ? Do you put the mic through the mixer ? You still didn't describe how your vocal recoding actually sounds...I may or may not be able to help, but you will get more responses the more detailed you are.

Describe everything, from the type of music you're doing to how far your mouth is from the mic and everything in between the mic and your four-track. :)

pAp

Gimme a break guys. No preamp is going to help a cheap radio shack sound much better.

The best way to learn what sounds best with your equipment is to just keep messing around.

2 things to try and see what sounds best with your mic is to record in a live sounding room like your bathroom or kitchen and see if the natural ambience of the room helps. Also try recording in a very dead room like a closet or carpeted and curtained living room so you get very little room ambience. Even setting up the mic in different areas of the room will affect the tone.

Also try singing very close to the mic to get proximity effect (added bass) and try singing a little farther away (1-3 ft) and see how that sounds.

When it comes to YOUR equipment, voice, and room only you can really tell what sounds best and the only way to learn is try different things.

Back