RV5 or Verbzilla for live use

pdadda

Captain Sea Boots
I am in a cover band, and we have started adding some 80's tunes to our lineup, so I need a reverb pedal. We don't have a keyboard player, so I am looking for a pedal that beefs up the sound. My current setup is:
Whammy WH4>Turbo RAT>Big Muff>Cool Cat Vibe>DD20>LPB-1>amp.
I don't have an FX loop on my amp.

I should specify what I mean by 80's. We just started covering some New Order. I want a reverb pedal that cuts through the mix live, and one that can handle single notes and chords. I have heard good things about the modulate setting on the RV5 and the octo setting on the verbzilla.

Any opinions? I am not a fan of the EHX Holy Grail by the way. Thanks in advance.

OK, I got to try both pedals out today.

Boss RV5: I found it surprisingly good. I could get good standard hall and plate reverb sounds out, and with a little tweaking, I could make them much more creepy and ambient. The modulate setting sounds wonderful as well.

Verbzilla: I was disappointed. It sucked alot of tone. Also, I could not get a good standard reverb sound out of it. I am not a big spring reverb fan, so I can't speak about those very clearly. The octo setting sounds cool, but the delay before the octave verb comes in makes it not very usable for me. Cave setting was cool as well. The knobs were incredibly flimsy on this pedal too.

In sum, I could get good standard and trippy sounds out of the Boss. With the Verbzilla, I could get cool trippy sounds, but not much stuff I would use on a regular basis.

Oh, I also tried out the Hardwire RV-7. Not very impressed. It gives decent subtle reverbs, if that is your thing. In terms of overall sound and usability I would rate them:
#1:Boss
#2:Digitech
#3:Line 6

Back