RUSH cover - Vital Signs

cygnus

I have always loved the sound of the Moving Pictures album. So, I figure the best way to get that sound in my original mixes is to try to cover the songs from that album. It is always a work in progress. I think this is my best so far. So, what do you all think?
Thanks for listening!!

Attachments

• Vital Signs.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 42
I have always loved the sound of the Moving Pictures album. So, I figure the best way to get that sound in my original mixes is to try to cover the songs from that album. It is always a work in progress. I think this is my best so far. So, what do you all think?
Thanks for listening!!

being a huge RUSH fan and a drummer, I suspect the drums are canned. the hat is a dead give away. the vocals sound nice though. forgive me if I am wrong.:D

When you say canned, do you mean electronic?
You couldn't be more wrong. The hat, snare, and ride are the real miked instruments. The toms and kick are vdrums.........:laughings:

When you say canned, do you mean electronic?
You couldn't be more wrong. The hat, snare, and ride are the real miked instruments. The toms and kick are vdrums.........:laughings:

The reason I thought that was the hat keeps going in some of the fills. were the drums done in different takes?

For the most part one take, other than a few punch in's. The punches were the whole kit too, not just single pieces.There is only one overdub of a "fffttt" sound in sync with the snare drum during the "impulse is pure" section. It sounds kind of like a partially open hi hat. Is that were it is? There was also one false triggering of a crash cymbal that we ended up leaving in. It was out of place but in time with the song. At the point we noticed it, I had already created a stem of the drum kit and didn't want to go back and remix the drums.
The drummer (not me) insists on using the electronic kit. Drives me nuts. Doesn't sound nearly as good as an acoustic one. But, then again it is much easier to record. Lately I've been at least getting him to bring the real snare, hat and ride. He is starting to notice the difference too.

Im with you on the E kit. I just sold my last one, I think I have it out of my system now, lol. dont get me wrong, I like the song. takes guts to tackle RUSH:D

I thought the bass and the vocal sounded pretty good. Synth sounds were nice too.

The kick had a strange sound to its attack. It distracts from the rest of the mix. The cymbals were, for the most part, too far out in front. They were a bit on the abrasive side. Just a bit too strident. The snare has a bunch of high end and not a whole lot of low-mid power.

The bass, to me, was too loud by several dbs.

What about Spirit of the Radio? And while Im thinking of hard shit for you to cover may as well throw in Red Barchetta and Working Man LOL. :D

If we attempt any more RUSH covers, it will probably be something a bit more mainstream like Bacchus Plateau or Something for Nothing.
eek.gif

Well.........now that you mentioned it. Here is Red Barchetta:
(we even have a video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAG71jy4J8o

Last edited:
The snare might be a touch too bright, and kick a touch mushy and boomy.

The guitars sometimes sound distant. Some specific volume adjustments to bring them up would likely solve this. Vocal performance is good, although not followed as tightly as the other elements of the song.

It's a well done cover. Fwiw, if you want to hear another take on the song I mixed this for some friends last year. Good choice in Rush covers, Vital Signs has seen a resurgence in popularity lately among Rush fans... [the mix you hear is partly by direction of the band, I typically don't mix drums like this]

Not a RUSH fan so I don't know the original to compare. Being a bassist I like a nice loud bass but I would tame this back a bit. Nice tone and playing, just a bit too prominent for me.

I'm with Pinky with regards to the Snare, Kick and Guitars. The Snare is very bright. It cuts through nice but doesn't sound right to my ear with the rest of the mix.

Regardless, I enjoyed the track a couple of time. A few tweaks and this'll sound great, IMO. :thumbs up:

Having not heard the original, sounds like a really good mix to me. Vocals are good, sounds like Lee but less shrill, I kind of prefer them. Cue the pitchforks and torches from rush fans haha. . .

Vocals are good, sounds like Lee but less shrill, I kind of prefer them. Cue the pitchforks and torches from rush fans haha. . .

When I finally heard the vocal track (which was done last) I was blown away. I think this is what the original melody would have sounded like if Rush had a dedicated vocalist.................
Now, cue the pitchforks and torches. :cursing:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Very much appreciated.

Back