Running my amp through a PA

RyanEmerson

I have Fender Deluxe 112 Plus 90-watt, and when playing out, though loud (VERY loud for it's size!), it just won't cut it. So my question is, what's the best way to run it through the PA?

1. Mic it?

2. Pre-Amp out by 1'4" male to 1/4" male

Or...

3. Pre-Amp out by 1/4" to XRL, so it can go into a balanced XRL imput in the PA.

Which one produces better sound quality? Also, if I set the PA EQ's flat (5, 5 and 5) would I keep the same sonic settigs that I have on my amp without PA-ing it? As in, all I'd have to do is mess with the volume, but could control theg rest from my amp?

Thanks.

Yes mic it. A mic picks up the additional tone effects of your speaker which is a large part of the tone you are hearing. The position of the mic on the speaker gives you even more control. Very often the mic is placed off-center of the cone -as you move toward the edge it gets mellower, closer to what you might hear if the amp is not pointed directly at you for example.
Bass D/I'd into a pa makes sense -clean and direct works here. Guitar, flat 20-20...eeck. :D
Wayne

Every studio I have worked in has mic on my Mesa Boogie...even though the Mesa has a Direct out on the back...None of them use it. When I play live and there is a sound company...they go 1 of 2 ways...mic it...or direct out into a DI box...1/4 in.in...XLR out.(more convenient for them). I personally prefer micing the Mesa no matter what....when I do home recording...sometimes I have Mic on gtr in 1 ch. and Direct out to another channel....makes it fuller all around. As to your amp settings...do what you always do from song to song to adjust your sounds...1 thing soundmen hate is when the gtr player is constantly changing his volume output...this makes them work harder...but I've got to tell you, I change sounds constantly when playing live...including volume...an experienced soundman knows how to deal w/ gtr players like me...they're on their toes. But they dig the challenge too. lol..NEVER let your sound suffer.

FIRESOLE said:
.. I change sounds constantly when playing live...including volume...an experienced soundman knows how to deal w/ gtr players like me...they're on their toes. But they dig the challenge too. lol..NEVER let your sound suffer.
I guess if you happen to be working at a level where if the soundman doesn't watch out for you -he'll get canned. :D
Most of the 'local' stuff I've seen they'd more likely take the additude -if your sound is flopping around -well, it your thing, why should we bother to second guess or chase you around. :rolleyes:

LOL mixsit. I've never "canned" anyone in my life. and..yes I agree "local" guys are complacent. I try to warn them beforehand. I usually end up apologizing to them at the end of the gig, for F*ing them up. I don't blame them.

Back