running an amp with 2 channels on at once

shouldn't do any harm.... just not sure what you'll get out of it... knew guys back in the 60'-70's that did that...

well, my amp (mesa dual recto roadster) has 4 channels, i was thinking putting on the overdrive channel and the light overdrive channel at once so maybe id still get gain but more note clarity with the lower gain as well.

well, my amp (mesa dual recto roadster) has 4 channels, i was thinking putting on the overdrive channel and the light overdrive channel at once so maybe id still get gain but more note clarity with the lower gain as well.

may i ask: what guitar and pickups?

Nope, I run a bass guitar and keys at the same time through my Mesa BB Titan V 12 all the time with no issues.

For what it's worth, I have a Fender Twin "The Twin" model which has inputs for chanel switching or inputs for combining both the clean and drive chanels. I like using the combined chanel input. I usualy set the clean chanel first to get that classic Fender clean tone and volume I desire, then set the gain chanel to get the overdrive tones I like. Combining the two chanels allows me to push all the gain I want and still be able to hear distinct notes at the same time. You should be able to use both chanels (or more if you have them) of any amp if you have a splitter or a pedal with dual/stereo outputs without being concerned about damage to the amp.

is this bad?

It won't hurt anything, but be advised that with some amps (my old Fenders are this way), there is an extra gain stage in the reverb/vibrato channel, so one channel feeds an inverted signal (as compared to the other channel) to the power section. The resultant cancellation that occurs means that if you plug a single instrument into both channels and turn them both all the way up, the volume will be significantly less than either channel alone.

Back