Rumour vs PCM-91 verbs

undermind

I've read a lot about both of these units.. I've heard the Lexicon PCM's..
I know these are both good verbs, and that their just different in their own ways.

I'm just getting down to the final moments of a real decision. I've gone back and forth too many times to count. Basically I was set on the PCM-91 because I wanted to get the best verb I could for about $1000. I've been screwing around with mediocre verbs for too long, so I decided to just spend the money. BUT, then I started reading about how the Rumour sounds identical to the KSP8, which I know is a very well respected unit. So this has me thinking. Do I really want to spend an extra $650 just to say I spent all the money I was willing to spend on a verb right now? It seems a little foolish when I could have KSP8 quality algorythms for much less. In fact I would probably snag a Mangler at the same time and knock out some more sounds still for quite a bit less than the Lexicon reverb..

So I'm throwing this out there for some last minute decision-time confusion.. Rumour and Mangler vs PCM-91

tdukex said:
I don't have any answers, but the Yamaha SPX 2000 is supposed to be great as well.

The Rumour reportedly also has two chanels of excellent ADA if that counts for anything.

The SPX 2000 is nowhere in the same league as the PCM-91.

For sheer "pleasure of reverb" I would have to say PCM-91 over the Rumour. But the Rumour and Mangler together are a very versatile and good sounding combo. I used to own both of those before I upgraded to the KSP8.

If you need all the other fx of the Mangler in addition to reverb, then the Rumour/Mangler is hard to beat at $1,000. The PCM-91 will give you only reverbs, but they do have a certain glow to them that the Kurzweil doesn't quite match.

SonicAlbert said:
For sheer "pleasure of reverb" I would have to say PCM-91 over the Rumour. But the Rumour and Mangler together are a very versatile and good sounding combo. I used to own both of those before I upgraded to the KSP8.

If you need all the other fx of the Mangler in addition to reverb, then the Rumour/Mangler is hard to beat at $1,000. The PCM-91 will give you only reverbs, but they do have a certain glow to them that the Kurzweil doesn't quite match.
I don't "need" the Mangler at this point.. I guess the question for me is; does the pleasure of the Lexicon verb outweigh the cash savings and the added tools of the Mangler for $300 less combined?

Rumour Rox @ $500, great verbs and chorus and delay, some weird stuff that I've used too. converters are very usable too!

undermind said:
I know the 90's do dual reverb, but can you run them independently? That's what you're sounding like..
They run a few of the easier verbs in pairs (in parallel) in the standard confg of dual mono in, stereo out. 'Ambience, 'Room, (a 'Reverse Rm?) and Chamber (best guess not being there at the moment.) I like the Chambers about as much as the Plate often enough.:)
The cards add the other routings, series ..

I read one person in one thread somewhere said that the Rumour sounded metallic in comparison to the Lexicon. Actually now that I think about it, this was a comparison to the PCM-70. The Lexi model is beside the point really.. I'm just wondering if anyone else shares this thought on the Rumour.

Personally I think I'm sensitive to the "metallic" kind of tinny sound. The cheaper verbs I've used along with some of the plug ins have this sound to me..

I just installed a Rumour in my rack about two weeks ago. It is routed to the DAW using SPDIF. I'm using it as a send effect in place of all the reverb plug-ins and it's a noticeable improvement. Most of the presets are good, very natural sounding, very little tweaking to get exactly what you want out of it. Awesome unit and I only paid $450 for it (including shipping).

We also have a Lexicon, which we now use mainly as inserts for the PA system.

I have NEVER heard that said about Kurzweil verbs.

undermind said:
I read one person in one thread somewhere said that the Rumour sounded metallic in comparison to the Lexicon. Actually now that I think about it, this was a comparison to the PCM-70. The Lexi model is beside the point really.. I'm just wondering if anyone else shares this thought on the Rumour.

Personally I think I'm sensitive to the "metallic" kind of tinny sound. The cheaper verbs I've used along with some of the plug ins have this sound to me..

I've got a Rumour and a Lexi MPX500 (obviously not the quality of the PCM models). The Rumour is great. I don't think of it as metallic. The Lexi sounds different and is quite usable for some applications. I tend to think of the Rumour verbs as more "natural" and the Lexi verbs as being more "lush," for want of better descriptors.

Ford Van said:
The SPX 2000 is nowhere in the same league as the PCM-91.

I've read good things about the Yamaha unit. That's all I can say though! How would you describe the 'league' difference?

robin watson said:
I've read good things about the Yamaha unit. That's all I can say though! How would you describe the 'league' difference?

If you need short trash can sounding reverb, just about any Yamaha reverb will do nicely.

Back