Ruben Lopez

StuGort

This one was done quite a while ago...when I had a studio. I just looked at the .mp3 properties and found that this one is 7 years old....lol...I need some new material.

I'm putting a new studio together now but I thought I'd put up a few older mixes until I do something new in the new room. This one is a Les Paul and a Jazz bass both going through an older Line 6 Pod XT Pro (rack mount). The drums were EZ Drums. The vocals were through an ADK Hamburg into a VTB1 - V Series preamp and then a Yamaha board and a Sonar DAW.

The conversation went like this:

Me: Ruben, I just want to fly.

Ruben: In a plane?

Me: No.

Ruben: Like a bird?

Me: (nods yes)

Ruben (gets it...nods too)

We both go back to work.

Btw...here's the studio so far...acoustic treatments are in the works. I made those racks and speaker stands...and that guitar. :)10866233_922272777792469_7368548228524076484_o.jpg

Last edited:
Some really nice playing. Nice arrangement of parts.

The guitar tones are so-so. A bit too twangy for me.

Vocal is very nice and clear. But there was too much reverb on it (and everything else) for me. Edit - the vocal performance on this is very good. It didn't dawn on me until near the end of the song. But it was a really good vocal performance.

Bass sounded pretty good.

Some really nice playing. Nice arrangement of parts.

The guitar tones are so-so. A bit too twangy for me.

Vocal is very nice and clear. But there was too much reverb on it (and everything else) for me. Edit - the vocal performance on this is very good. It didn't dawn on me until near the end of the song. But it was a really good vocal performance. Bass sounded pretty good.

Thanks, Trip.....yes it's Zlurgh. Good to hear from you again. It's been a few years, eh?

Of all the parts on this...the bass is the one thing I'd re-track....but being seven years old...I think I'll leave it. I was kind of sloppy on that part. I'm not a bass player really.

Thanks for checking in. :)

The reverb/delay on the vocal is too much for me, and the overhead (cymbals) are panned too far apart for my taste, but overall it's a pretty good song!

Really good, high energy performances. I liked the bass playing a lot. Drums sounded pretty good for software.

The guitar tones had a little of that DI quality to them...hard to describe, but I found myself looking at the pic above wondering what if one of those fender amps had been used instead? I thought the verb on the vocals was a little excessive (and I like plenty 'o reverb), but overall it was a fun listen with plenty of interesting twists and turns.

The mix is fine in that I can hear everything clearly and the levels and panning seem good, it just seemed to lack some glue for want of a better word to put everything more or less in the same space (not that it has to be :)).

Cool song! Everything sounds crisp and clear. The reverb on the vox doesn't sound bad, but I would probably dial it back just a hair.

As a side not, can't really tell by your pic, but aren't your monitors spaced too far apart to get a "triangular" spacial placement?

The reverb/delay on the vocal is too much for me, and the overhead (cymbals) are panned too far apart for my taste, but overall it's a pretty good song!

Thanks for the listen. I actually found the bundle for this tune yesterday. I may remix it. Appreciate the mixing comments.

heatmiser said:
The mix is fine in that I can hear everything clearly and the levels and panning seem good, it just seemed to lack some glue for want of a better word to put everything more or less in the same space (not that it has to be ).

Ya...I bet I can do a better job mixing it today. The verbs would HAVE to be different because the old file will reference old reverbs.

Bruthish said:
As a side not, can't really tell by your pic, but aren't your monitors spaced too far apart to get a "triangular" spacial placement?

I'm triangulated...but it was stupid as depicted. :) I had just set the room up when I snapped that pic...having JUST finished those speaker stands. When sitting at the desk my head was in a low-mid resonate peak. I set them up so I had to roll back about 18" to listen. Since then, I moved everything back and now they are in much tighter. Room treatments in the works. :)

Back