Royce Drumset

johndee1303

i bought this Royce Percussion drumset a little bit over a year it was used from one of my dads friends i never really did any research on it i was wondering if anyone else owned one and wat they think of them

My thoughts?
I'll be honest, and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh.

But they are quite possibly the worst drums I have ever seen.

I bought a set off of Craigslist simply because they were $40. I turned around and sold them for $150 when I included some cymbals.

There is not a singe aspect of those drums that was good.
If you are using the stock heads. Replace them. Use a thick double ply such as Remo pinstripe. Normally I would not recommend pinstripes, but they have a knack for letting a bad kit sound kind of OK. But the same is true for a nice kit, pinstripes will make them a good kit sound only OK too.

But I digress.
The wood is horribly cut, the insides of the shells are real rough, almost to the point of splintering.
The bearing edges look like they were cut with a hand saw. And you will find big holes on the bearing edge from holes in the plys. But they were nice enough to use a thick plaster-like glue in the holes without sanding it down.
The wrap will bubble up because the glue they use is thin and cheap.
The hardware! OMG it was putrid. I'm supprised they sell these things to people.

I would get ANY other name brand beginner, low level stuff before I'd ever think of Royce. I really hope you didn't spend too much on them. if you did, think of it as a lesson learned. Next time research. But as long as you're getting some chops with them that's good. Once you move up to a pro, or semi-pro kit, you'll feel like a million bucks and be inspired by the clear and exciting tones you have been missing out on.

But if it's any consolation, my first kit was almost as bad. It was a CB700 lol.

My first kit was a Royce in sky blue wrap (yuck...I know). I bought it used. The stock heads were a nightmare to tune, so I did as Ternation, put some pinstripes on all toms and kick batter, and a coated amb on snare. The sound I got was way better than with the stock heads, but still far away from a decent kit.
I gigged the hell out of that kit, and they served the purpose well; only complaint of gigging with them is the hardware. I have to agree, it's the worst hardware out there, I had to constantly replace tom arms, tom brackets, snare, toms and kick lugs, and cymbal stand parts.
Other than that, they performed well.
My shells weren't as bad as Ternation's, so after 7 years of gigging and recording I said farewell to them. Managed to sell them for $350 (this included 4 toms, a snare, kick, all hardware, cymbals, double kick pedal) and bought a Remo Mastertouch 6 piece kit.
The sound difference was just amazing.
Bottom line is, they served well as a first kit, and I had tons of fun with them.
Farewell Royce kit, you did your job.
Just my opinion.
Cheers!

I had a double bass Franken-kit made up of Royce (Silver) and CB 700 (Weird blue-black) as one of my first kits (If i can locate a pic i'll post it) both had that same noisey dual hexagon drumkey adjusted tom mounts that made the whole kit shake if you hit a tom or bass and which was part of the kit's overall "sound."

Like any starter set it wasn't so hot, yet better than the blue sparkle one i had with the "hook" kind of single tom mount (Hard to describe, but THE worst!)

I haven't thought about it in years, but oh man were the floor toms frustrating. They just kind of "Honked" in rather non-musical way. The mounted toms i recall using Pinstripes and Deadringers on so they more or less sounded like different sized cardboard boxes.

It's not easy, but you CAN actually do worse than Royce if you're just starting out or need something cheap to bang on (Which is part of the process, you simply use what you can till you can afford to use better- no shame in it.), but at some point expect to discover the cost of new heads is throwing good money after bad. That'll be when it's time to bail out.

I think when it comes to Royce and/or CB 700, a thread ceases to be a thread and instead takes on the form of a support group. :p
:)

Back