Roxul AFB or Safe?

punkrocker

Ok so these are both about the same price. Will be using for wall panel absorption NOT bass traps.

This is the safe ratings off their site.

Thickness 125 Hz 250 Hz 500 Hz 1000 Hz 2000 Hz 4000 Hz NRC
2.0 0.26 0.68 1.12 1.10 1.03 1.04 1.00

This is the AFB
Thickness 125 Hz 250 Hz 500 Hz 1000 Hz 2000 Hz 4000 Hz NRC
2.0" 0.28 0.60 1.09 1.09 1.05 1.07 0.95

Now the ratings look pretty close but the AFB has a density of 2.5lb and the Safe is 4.5lb. I have heard you should try to keep it near 3lb density so I'm leaning somewhat to the afb so what do you guys think?

well i don't really know much about the technical stuff but i did just make some panels using the safe (only thing available) and they do work quite well. They are plenty rigid and do a great job, to my ears, on controlling the sound. so what i am saying is that they do work great but lets wait for someone else with a more educated view to chime in on this one.

As far as weight goes - it's really around 3 to 6 pcf - so from that perspective either product is fine.

The AFB has better high frequency values - but looses it in the mid and LF range.

I know you said it isn't for bass traps - but you'll find that everything you can get for LF is a plus - and that you loose your HF too quickly as it is -

So if it was me I would opt for the most boost in the low mid - which means I would choose the SAFE

Sincerely,

Rod

I have to correct something. I have just check and the afb and safe are BOTH 2.5lb density. Should i still go with safe?

The absorption coefficients matter more than the density does, so I would say go with whichever one will provide the kind of absorption you are looking for in the frequency bands that are of most interest. That may sound like a vague answer, but it depends on your situation (doesn't everything in recording?).

Back