Routing Tracks For Drums...Some Help Please?

Village Idiot

The Love Butler
I have no idea how to do this...

How do I configure this in my Software? (Cubase LE or N-Track)

I want to be able to close mic the kit, using 5 individual inputs.

1. Kick Drum
2. Snare
3. Floor Tom
4. L Overhead
5. R Overhead

How do I control this so I have tracks 1-5 recording only what I want in them?

Thanks!

VI

I don't have a firepod, nor do I use cubase or n-tracks, but if you record enable track 1 it should record what is plugged in to the first input on the firepod. With track 2 record enabled in the software, it should record what is plugged in to the 2nd input of the firepod, etc... Have you recorded anything with the firepod yet?

Yo Dougie!

I haven't used NTrack for a long time, but you should be able to create 5 empty tracks and then set the input source of each track to match the input you are using on your card. Sometimes they show up as inputs 1-8 and sometimes it works like inputs 1-4 left and right, totaling your 8 inputs.

If that doesnt get you there, I'll d/l the new n-track and look at it for you, lemme know.

H2H

Hey VI,
I'm gathering that you and CrappyB are one in the same. If so, I left a reply to your post over at FASoft.
If not ..... well hmmm .....
Here is what I would do in n-Track -

Go to Preferences > Audio Devices and select the appropriate drivers for your Firepod. If you use an ASIO driver for it, the Firepod's control panel will be where you adjust your buffers/latency. WDM and MME will be adjusted via n-Tracks buffer settings. Also go to Preferences > Options and de-select both options for "use system timer". This will force n-Track to use the Firepod's internal clock (normally a good thing).
Open the Playback VU's and click the hammer > click the button for select I/O channels and select the inputs you intend to use (or all of the inputs if you feel so inclined as you can disable the ones you don't need via the Record VU's red buttons).
Open the Record VU's (you may need to un-dock and resize them for easier viewing).
One at a time, click the hammer for each input pair and select "Stereo > two mono tracks" (do this for each input pair).
Now for each input pair, click the little red button in the Record VU's.
Here you will be presented with options for each channel of that pair. You want to select "record to a new track" for each channel you will be using. Select "don't record from this channel" for the ones you won't be using.
I don't have a Firepod, so you'll have to figure out which input you are using goes to which Record VU and set your gain accordingly.
Hit Record and however many inputs you have enabled for recording, that number of tracks will appear and recording will commence.
Once done, the waveforms will be drawn out for each track. They will each be mono tracks panned center, so you will need to pan them accordingly for your stereo image during your mixing.

HTH

-Ken

crankz1 said:
One at a time, click the hammer for each input pair and select "Stereo > two mono tracks" (do this for each input pair).
HTH
-Ken

OK....

Here is where a problem lies, HTH...

After choosing the ASIO drivers (Which Presonus recommends) I have NO option to choose Mono, Stereo>two mono tracks.
I ONLY have the option to choose stereo.

Why is this?

VI

That, I have no idea about.
The only thing I can think is that the ASIO drivers written for the Firepod won't allow for splitting the stereo pairs in n-Track.

Will Cubase allow you to use a single input to a mono track with those ASIO drivers?

Never the less, you should still be able to record to stereo tracks. However, you would need to split some of the tracks to two mono tracks to allow for creating the appropriate stereo image of your drums.

Back