Routing problems

eosteric

Hey people, I need some help badly here...

I'm trying to use a hardware compressor with Sonar and I absolutely can't get it work, or any other hardware gear for that matter.

The problem is the routing. I know the progam Sonar been using it for many versions, all my IOs are enabled and I've tried using external insert and setting up a manuel send bus and return bus.

Here's the problem, either way I do it, no audio signal is sent out of my outputs on the audio interface to the hardware gear. So obviously no return is working either, but I can tell right away that the problem is that there's no signal sent out my outputs, and everything when it comes to the routing in sonar is correctly setup.

Here's where it gets strange, in Ableton Live it works fine, no problem, using exactly the same gear and same inputs and outputs...

Here's where it gets stranger, Ableton Live is the only application I've gotten this to work in, I've tried Sonar and Reaper so far in addition.

Something must be wrong somewhere but I don't know what and it's really strange it works perfectly in Live and no other software. I can set up a simple bus or audio track with a sample sending a signal out the correct output in Live to my external gear, and I can tell right away it receives a signal. This does not work in Sonar or Reaper.

I don't know what to do. I have a Motu Ultralite btw.

It's obvious you don't have your software "outs" configured to your hardware "outs" correctly. Forget about sends for now, in fact eliminate them. Try routing your MainL Output to your outboard compressor and returning it to one of your channel strip inputs, just as a test to prove my point. Determine exactly how your configuration gets to your speakers. Sometimes I'll attach a routing spreadsheet to a project just so I can remember where everything is routed (it's really hard to trace wiring when there isn't any!).

Back