Routing and monitoring in Cubase

fraserhutch

Flypaper for freaks
Hey all.

Just got a Profire lightbridge which gives me 4 channels of ADAT. I was using an RME HDSP card, I have 3 AD/DA converters units for 24 channels input.

Here is my setup:
ADAT 1: Mytek 89x96 8 channles in
ADAT 2: Lucid ADA8824: 8 channels in, 8 channels out
ADAT 2: Behringer ADA8000 :8 channels in, 8 channels out

I premix my keyboards and bring them in on ADAT 1: channels 1&2
My main monitor outs are ADAT 2: channels 1&2.

I am having trouble figuring out how to route external instruments. When I set up an external instrument I can set the return Bus to ADAT 1 channels 1&2, but then those channels are no longer available as inputs?

How do I tell Cubase where the monitoring channels are for external instrument? it seems to output to ADAT 1

How do I record this instrument if the return buses are not available as recording channels?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hey all.

Just got a Profire lightbridge which gives me 4 channels of ADAT. I was using an RME HDSP card, I have 3 AD/DA converters units for 24 channels input.

Here is my setup:
ADAT 1: Mytek 89x96 8 channles in
ADAT 2: Lucid ADA8824: 8 channels in, 8 channels out
ADAT 2: Behringer ADA8000 :8 channels in, 8 channels out

I premix my keyboards and bring them in on ADAT 1: channels 1&2
My main monitor outs are ADAT 2: channels 1&2.

I am having trouble figuring out how to route external instruments. When I set up an external instrument I can set the return Bus to ADAT 1 channels 1&2, but then those channels are no longer available as inputs?

How do I tell Cubase where the monitoring channels are for external instrument? it seems to output to ADAT 1

How do I record this instrument if the return buses are not available as recording channels?

Thanks in advance for any help!

The monitor button in Cubase will send the channel straight back out the stereo out.

If you want to monitor the instrument through another out, I suggest you setup a send. Select "New Send" and route it to where you want. Now go to your track, and in the sends options on the left, send 0dB out the channel you just created.

Does this work? Have I understood the problem correctly? I fully expect there is an option somewhere to send the monitor signal somewhere else. I would guess in the VST Connections menu, but I am not with cubase right now so cant check.

Hmmm, thanks for the reply, I'll have to look into that. I'm at worki too, so I'll check it out tonight.

I was putzing around with VST connections last night and may have hit a working solution., but the output was soooooooo soft I had to putz around with my gain settings which ultimately hosed everything, so it's back to the drawing board again.

Thanks, and I'll get back to this tonight!

It will make the channels you choose no longer available. External instruments behave just like a VSTi so hit F11, select the device, and it will open audio tracks under VST instruments in the inspector window just like a softsynth would except you will need to do a realtime mixdown to actually record the track. This can be really useful for automating stuff if you have a device panel setup for said instrument. There is a return gain trim under the VST connections next to the delay adjustment.

Back