Rough recording, rough mix

ConorC

Last edited:
Sorry man, this place is kind of slow lately.

I think this sounds pretty good especially for a live demo thingie. Here's what I'm hearing mix-wise:

Drums sound a little boxy like there's too much room captured and maybe it isn't an ideal room.

Singer is great, but the vocal recording is a little harsh almost like it's clipping maybe? It just has an unpleasant bite to it that I also hear in the cymbals and maybe some other parts of the mix, so maybe an EQ cut in the higher mids on the master bus?

I would like to hear more low end detail too. The bass is lost for me (is there one?).

Guitars sounds pretty good to me save for some of that same sizzle I hear in the vocals and cymbals.

I also think it would be cool if the two guitars weren't doing the same thing in the intro, but that's not a mix issue of course...hope this helps.

I'm not very experienced in mixing but here are my thoughts.

The distorted guitars seem a bit too noisy during the chorus. This might be what you were going for but I think you might be able to get the same effect with less distortion. Right now it is a little fatiguing to listen to.

Overall it is a cool track and it sounds good.

Thanks for the comments guys. This is helpful. Yeah the crunchy guitar on the chorus is a little too crunchy, I will talk to the guitar player. The bass is my fault, I have a lot of difficulty mixing bass, it's either much too loud or much too low in the mix. I have a lot of trouble finding a good middle ground. I suspect that is my crappy monitors.

Yeah the vocal recording is harsh, but as I recorded that later I think it may be the room I recorded in, or the fact I used a condenser mic, studio projects B1. I think for this song and with the range of loudness and softness in the performance I should have used my sm58.

And Heatmiser, thanks, I like to think my voice is pretty good :)

More bottom end, both bass and on the crunchy guitar ...needs warming up. But it's a great track! Thought about taking the tempo up a wee tad?

Back