Rough Mixes (New Age Reggae/Rock)

mattymacnj

Alright so it's about that time to put out a new album, and I have rough mixes of the first 6 tracks. I will definitely be sending all the tracks out for mastering, but I'm trying to decide whether to pay for mixing or do it myself. After you listen to you're own music for long enough you start to question everything, so I'm just looking for some outside feedback in terms of prominence of lead vocal, mixing width and depth, frequency balance / levels, and overall quality. The vocals will most likely be redone, but I mixed them as if they were final cuts so the S's should be controlled and I'm hoping they aren't over compressed.

Here are 3 tracks with some soft compression and a limiter on the master bus just to bring the volume up.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 01_Garden_State_ROUGHMAST_MP3.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 02_So_Right_ROUGHMAST_MP3.mp3
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • 03_Drunk_On_You_ROUGHMAST_MP3.mp3
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
I listened to Garden State.

I think the guitar on the right in the chorus could come up. Maybe bring the vocal down just a bit. Nice vocal man.

Garden State: Strange blend of genres--Justin Bieber meets Bob Marley. Doesn't really work for me, but that's a matter of taste. There is a lot of mud. You might want to clean up your lower mids. I understand that Reggae needs a big low end, even so the bass level was OTT for me. I kept wishing for a more organic bass sound. That bass synth made the reggae part sound more like a piss take than a serious attempt to cop that vibe. The vocalist can sing. Too much reverb on the vocal for me.

This would work pretty well as a straight reggae tune, but I understand why you might not want to go in that direction. Hardly anybody listens to reggae anymore and truthfully, the genre has grown long in the tooth.

I listened to Garden State.

I like the singer's voice. I thought that sounded good.

The vocal and bass instruments are dominating. Everything else is very tough to hear. That's fine for the vocal, but the low end is out of control. The low end is too loud and there are boomy frequencies that jump out in spots.

Other than that, I thought the song/mix was cool.

I'd like to hear the distorted guitars come back in with the 'Dont tell me..' line near the start, but much louder and heavier. Then in the chorus a sub bass riff to go with the reggae rhythm. But that's just me. Your version is cool too though. :-)

Back