rough mix

db51

(5.3Mb)
I've mixed this on my hifi speakers as I can't afford monitors for the moment...I've given it a listen on my computer speakers and minidisc as well but I'd like some opinions from people with better monitors and EARS than mine before I take it any further...
Thanks

Nice song..

I like the record pops effect in the beginning. Although the guitar was a little too harsh/tinny. I thought the whole song was gonna be like that, but then it kicks in. The mix was good overall, it was a little bass heavy in the end breakdown thing.

Pretty good for mixing on hi-fi speakers.

What kind of equipment were you using?

Thanks Brokenwindow!
How do you think the drums sound? (not the playing, I know it's not very good , I keep speeding up and down:))...Do they sound 'real' enough?
I'm just trying to see if I can get a few more people to comment before I tell how I recorded the song...
Please give it a listen...you just have to download it, it's good quality (256Kbs), no login/password...
thanks

The drums sound pretty good. I think the toms need to be turned up in the verse.

I can hear the tempo change a little, but not that noticable..

Here's my setup:
Everything was tracked and mixed in Nuendo on a PIII 500 Mhz:
Joemeek VC6Q as preamp for guitars, bass, drums and vox
Shure sm 58 mic for vocals and guitars (US Telecaster)
Yamaha electronic drum kit
The 'record pops effect' in the beginning is from the Nuendo 'grungelizer' plug in
(5.3Mb)

ROCKING!

THe guitar in the beginning kind of bothered me.

WHen the full thing came in, I thought to myself "powerful"
then I read that you tracked through the joemeek. I love that powerful joemeek sound.

I am not listening on monitors. ON these cans, what I can pick out are:

THe mix in general is really nice. I love the way the instruments sit together and the balance
I also love the warm space.

THe vocals needed air and space. THis is a fault of the sm58, but you can add some more around 5k and experiment with some around 14k

The kick did not sound as powerful as all that. I think that you should experiment with maybe compression and some 40-60 hz.

I really dig the mix, especially since it was done on non detailed home speakers.

WHat reverb were you using on the guitars? sounds good.

keep it up

Thanks CyanJaguar....actually, the guitars are just EQ'd!! There's a small reverb on the lead guitar (the 'bendy' one) otherwise the rythm guitar was recorded straight from a mic'd Marshall Valvestate 80V with NO reverb from the amp...
I would have used some light reverb (I use nuendo's own 'Nuendoverb' on the vocals) on the guitars but my system's crapping out when I try to play back all the plug-ins in real time!

As I said the mix isn't finished...Many tracks (backing vocals, rythm guitars, drums, bass) have no plug-in effects whatsoever (except for EQ), I'd love to experiment some more with reverbs and compression, and even add some tracks, but my PIII 500Mhz can't playback anymore in real time....

I'm planning on getting monitors and a LD condenser by the end of the summer, hopefully that should help the vocals a bit

The filter and reverb on the vocals of the first minute are really good. The only major flaw to my ears were the cymbals which sound electronic. Yamaha's drum modules arent very good, especially their cymbals. The general consensus on drum sounds is that roland's are the most realistic. Also, I would pull the hi hats back a bit and maybe throw some more reverb on them.

Back