Rough mix, where to now?

Enchilada

Strange person.
Hey guys,

I'm working on my first project in my studio. I've done a rough mix of most of the tracks and they all sound pretty much the same (mix wise). If this was your rough mix, where would you go from here?

Free Indeed by Fat Wombat on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Any suggestions, comments or criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Kris

Info on the track:
All tracks were recorded with my Tascam M-3700 console aside from the vocals which were recorded through an Alctron MP-100 pre.

Vocals were recorded through aDIY C12 style mic I built.
Guitars were recorded with a SM57.
Bass was recorded with a Beta 52.

Drums:
Kick - Beta 52 and DIY subkick
Snare - Audix i5 on top & SM57 on the bottom.
Rack tom - SM57.
Floor tom - AT Pro25.
Overheads - Spaced pair of Royer modded MXL 603.
Room mic - MXL V67G.

The drums feel a little thin or possibly too low in the beginning and mayby throughout. You need a bass track or some kind of synth track along with the acoustic guitar to give the music melody some body. The vocals were a little plain sounding as far as emotional content and maybe a little too out front - but if you add some lower end body to the music the vocals will sit better. You have a good start on mixing - but I think you need to work in some low end instruments or sounds to fill it up more.

Just my thoughts.

Audiowriter

Thanks for the thoughts bud. I did cut some 400 with a wide Q from the vocals. Maybe I went too far. What worries me is that the guitar in the intro sounds like an acoustic. That's a Mexican Fender Strat played into a Marshall half stack.

Back