Rough Mix.. Input Please!

mwarkentin

Hey all.. thought I'd upload a mix of a song that my band has just recorded.. equipment used (mostly rented)..

Recorder: Korg D1600
Preamps: Avalon 737sp/Mackie 1604 VLZ-PRO

Drums:

OH's - 2 Audio Technica Pro 37Rs
Kick - Shure SM57
Snare - SM57 (through the Avalon)
Hihat - AKG C1000
Rack Toms - SM57s
Floor Tom - Rode NTK

Guitar:

Crappy BC Rich Warlock -> Korg Toneworks pedal -> Marshall G50CD

Bass: Washburn XD102 DI'd through the Avalon

Vocals: Rode NTK -> Avalon

We may still retrack the drum tracks.. I'm not very happy with the snare sound, and we might be able to get a Shure Beta 52 for kick.. but time is a bit tight. This was recorded in a church sanctuary.

No monitors to use, just Klipsch Promedia computer speakers.. so I'll be really interested in what you guys have to say.. thanks. Any more questions, just ask!

Here's the mp3:

nice, the only thing i noticed is the drums sound a little behind volume wize in the mix especially in the beginning. nice full bass guitar sound though, voxs sound ok maybe with a little more reverb on them they would stay with the mix a little better. guitars sound good with your mix maybe a little less volume on them. i like the song you guys played it pretty tight and it sounds good and my opinions are not to be taken to seriously because my montors are crap to, but from what i heard those are the changes i would make. now i will step aside and let the pros tell you what they think. looking forward to hearing some more from you. thanks for sharing enjoyed it alot. tim pate

Wow...
I think it sounds very good.
Clean, nice mix...
a couple times I could swear that I heard some clipping on the vocals I think...
Guitars were very clean and sounded real.
Youre definatley on the right track...
Not a bad tune either

Coooool...This is kinda' like, Sex Pistols meet Gwar.

Mix wise...I'd pull the vox up a tad, but it's not bad. I'd also put some more verb on it, but it's got a really cool "early rush" kinda' sound, so maybe that's a style thing.

My only real gripe is the bass and guitar seem out of tune (with each other) at the beginning. I think it might be an intonation problem with the bass, b/c not ALL notes are out.

The electrics definitely sound like they were recorded direct, and a purist would tell you to use one of those 45 drum mics on an amp for the gits. Doesn't really bug me too much...just a little dry for my PERSONAL taste.

Keep in mind, all of my comments here are personal taste, ('cept for the tuning thing at the beginning).

I like this.
:D
Chris

cool song!!! gritty, i like it!! vox+up would be good, drum's get lost on the busy part's,........esp. the kick. on a tune as hard as this, that kick need's to be felt!!!!!!!!imho. i like the singer's style, esp the screaming, i think some harmonies and bgv's in spot's would help. hey! you know what?? you posted this drum track in the percussion forum a little while back, right?? oh wait...i know you did cause i got it right here on music match!! this is neat to put the music with the drum track.

peace

rick

Flash2Ace: Thanks for your thoughts, I brought the guitars down a little bit. All I added was some eq and compression, haven't messed with any reverb yet (mostly because it always seems to muddy everything up for me).

MartyMcFLy: There probably is some clipping on the vocals once in a while, he's a screamer.. :) We do have several vocal takes that I haven't had a chance to grab the best parts from yet, so I should be able to fix that up..

chrisharris: Sex pistols meets gwar? Well.. don't listen to either of them, so I don't know about that comparison.. :) Rush too, never listened to them. The electrics were mic'd with an SM57, not recorded direct, but I have no idea how to get a good guitar tone (and I don't think my guitarist does either!!)

fenderlikinggood: Glad you like the song! We had to use a SM57 on the kick, didn't have access to the Beta 52 that we were supposed to, I'll see if I can do something to bring it out more though.

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!

Ok...nice song and nice playing but the mix..........
The vocals are not nearly loud enough....same with the drums. Neither is up any where near where they should be. The guitars sound pretty good and the bass is nice although it needs to come up a little bit, not as much as the drums or vocals. Also I think the bass is out of tune a little bit.

Very fresh sounding tune.

You've got tuning problems that are bad at the beginning. I think it's the guitar. Yeah, it's bad.

MH

Yeah, my guitarist is a bit of a gimp at tuning.. ah well.. what can ya do..

Lt. Bob: Thanks for the tips, I will be working on this some more, definitely.

Rythm guitars are a bit boomy... and loud..
Bass needs to be tamed and presense.
Snare sound compressed to kingdom come, Kick has NO bottom..

I like the sound of the hihat.. :)

Really... it's hard to hear anything, because the guitars and bass isa to loud.

I will listen to the un-rough mix when/if you post. The song isn't bad..

Yep tuning problems. It almost sounds like the bass might have a warped neck (it's possible anyway). Those opening notes are whacked, but elsewhere in the song it has a nice sound. You might want to get it looked at.

I liked the song too. I like the singer's voice. Kind of thin and tinny, but still a cool sound. As the good Lt. pointed out, the vocals are too far back in the mix. You're going to need a bit of compression (or a bit more), there's a vocal clip during the scream at 2:11. Maybe other spots too.

I think this song would sound even cooler with the vocals double tracked. There are opportunities for harmonies too. Just thoughts...

Back