Rosetta users / New user here with some questions.

Mr. ROUSH

I'm interested in taking advantage of Rosetta's sample rate conversion feature. I use the Rosetta with a 003 and Pro Tools. Having never used an external ADC/DAC device, I'm at quite a loss here. Can I accomplish this by simply changing the sample rate and bit rate on the front panel of the rosetta before bouncing the outputs of the Rosetta to disc using pro tools, or would I have to use a separate analog recorder or what?

It seems to me when I bounce the outputs of the Rosetta in Pro Tools that Pro Tools is doing the SRC., as the conversion options still appear within the PT dialogue.

The manual uses the example of feeding a device to the AES inputs of the Rosetta.. setting the sample rate and bit rate, and then going out of the AES outputs to another device. Is this the only way to do it?

The SRC feature supposedly utilizes an algorithm that has proven to more accurately dither the signal, resulting in maintaining the sound quality of higher sample rates at lower sample rates and 16 bit after conversion. Anyone tested that claim? Is it even worth my time, or should I just be content with letting Pro Tools do the SRC at mixdown?

I have it connected with RCA/s/pdif in and out fyi, if that matters in this scenario. This brings me to another question.. is this the best way to go in and out of the 003? Should I use an optical format instead?

Monitoring.. I notice that now using the DAC through the Rosetta going out to JBL LSR series monitors.. All of my DAW's react much differently in terms of levels and effects. I'm finding myself turning things down much further.. the Sound is much better through the rosetta and effects seem much more responsive.. I assume this is a good or even a great thing, but what do I really know. Was this your experience? I guess what I'm getting at here is that I expected the monitoring to improve, but I didn't expect it should totally change the way I mix songs.. Maybe I've just been mixing all wrong to begin with... Any thoughts here?

One last thing.. aside from routing I/O and setting the clock to the rosetta in the hardware setup.. are there any other settings within Pro Tools or other DAW's that need to be changed to accommodate the Rosetta? I thank you very much if you take the time to reply to this!

Nobody has any input? I will add that upon further examination I do see that the SRC menu in the Pro Tools dialogue does seem to reference the SRC rates from the rosetta, but I still don't know.. I feel like the front panel would need to correspond with the SRC settings in PT.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back