Room within a Room . Ventilation?

CellarCat

I am thinking about building a studio in my back yard . I will build a garage and then build another room in side it for optimum sound proofing . I have read lots of good things at this site and others about the actual constuction of the walls etc and materials to use . What i'm wondering is what do others of you who have a room within a room do for ventialtion inside.? And what about airconditioning a good idea or bad for the instruments? I was thinkin about a couple of heavey duty exhaust fans for the fresh air . And run the ducting between the two walls at a bunch of angles before it goes out the outer wall to help with sound leakage.... Any thought on this would be greatly appreciated........

Well, without a/c a well sealed room will get mighty hot. On a standalone place, if you dont want to shell out for a small central unit, you can buy a window unit with a remote control and build a platform/casing to move it away from you structure a few feet. Then, you can fashion some vents for it and route the air into your studio. Again, in a well sealed room, it usually doesnt take much to keep it cooled/heated.

version2 said:
Well, without a/c a well sealed room will get mighty hot. On a standalone place, if you dont want to shell out for a small central unit, you can buy a window unit with a remote control and build a platform/casing to move it away from you structure a few feet. Then, you can fashion some vents for it and route the air into your studio. Again, in a well sealed room, it usually doesnt take much to keep it cooled/heated.

I should take a picture of my window A/C, because I took John Sawyer's recommendation a long time ago in building a box over it redirecting their air up towards the ceiling, and filling that box with foam, to absorb some of the noise. I also got a very efficient A/C which simply makes less noise in general, unlike the old clunkers that weight 9000 lbs. When mounting the window frame, be generous with rubber strips are equivilent strong spongy material, as to isolate the unit from the window frame. This makes for less rattling.

Finally, whoever designes the grills on the window A/C units obviously was directed to be cheap. They all rattle. So, yank off the grill and chuck it in the closet :)

I hinged the box so I can open it up all the way to control the unit (mines not remote controlled) as well as open the airways for maximum efficiency when I don't need the room "absolutely silent".

fred, sounds similar to my solution.

My current project studio is going to utilize something similar. I am going to build box on the side of the outside wall which will contain the actual unit. It will padded as much as possible only allowing the necessary vents an out. Then I going to contruct a 'tunnel ram' basically from the front of the a/c into a cavity I am creating in the studio just for air exchange.

Geez, this is hard to explain...I will just take some pics when I get the thing up. :p

Back