Room tuning???

FUNKY

Hi guys..

How can I make a room tuning for my monitors?

I re-located my Dynaudio's from the wall cause of the low-end freq's and now the bass sound is so "cardboard" and thin..

Also there are so harshy mid's and hi's...

What should I do with the room? Should I make some room treatment or eq the monitors?

If it's helping you, take a look at my studio at John's studio building site and called FUNKY studio...

Should I make some tests including the Fletcher-Munson curves?

Thanx
FUNKY

Room tuning is a combination of placement, treatment, and EQ, and of my opinion, in that order.

Move the monitors forward and back. Left to right. Angle them slightly in different positions. This is the placement phase.

Once you achieve what is the best sound you can get out of placement, then its time to really look at the frequence response of the room, which can be done with a frequency analyzer (a professional grade unit, those home EQ's really don't have enough resolution) or an oscilloscope.

Drive the oscilloscope with a certified flat-response microphone specifically for this purpose (RTA mic), and out of your monitors, provide a steady pitch at 100hz where your VU meters say "-3db". Measure the height of the waveform. Raise the pitch to 110 hz (or 150 hz, if you want bigger gaps in measurement) and continue this until you have a handwritten chart that indicates your frequency response curve of the room. This of course also depends on mic placement, and you should definately test in different areas of the room, specifically concentrating on the engineer's head location.

While some have successfully used EQ to fix their monitoring system, I only recommend it as a last resort. If you have to slide an EQ fader more than 3db, treatments can fix the problem if you can figure out where/what the problem exactly is.

I'm sure this will provoke many other opinions, and thats cool :)

FUNKY said:

Hi guys..

How can I make a room tuning for my monitors?

I re-located my Dynaudio's from the wall cause of the low-end freq's and now the bass sound is so "cardboard" and thin..

Also there are so harshy mid's and hi's...

What should I do with the room? Should I make some room treatment or eq the monitors?

If it's helping you, take a look at my studio at John's studio building site and called FUNKY studio...

Should I make some tests including the Fletcher-Munson curves?

Thanx
FUNKY

Back