Room treatment?

billabob

Hey, ive just been looking into getting some room treatment. Onlything is i cant have anything permanent, so i was looking into getting a four of these and putting one on each wall of my shed, which is currently my recording studio :S.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FlexiBoothBd

And perhaps have these in 2 corners as portable bass traps?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LENRDMounted/

Also i could use these for moving foam?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TempTabs/

Bare in mind i got no diy skills so i can only do the bare minimum of that.

Wow, those are a ripoff... Search around here for DIY 0C-703 / Roxul / etc. panels. You can make them yourself for 1/4 the price or less, and they'll work better than auralex too.

I wouldn't touch anything from Auralex or any other foam for that matter. Rigid fiberglass and rockwool all the way...

Wow, those are a ripoff... Search around here for DIY 0C-703 / Roxul / etc. panels. You can make them yourself for 1/4 the price or less, and they'll work better than auralex too.

I wouldn't touch anything from Auralex or any other foam for that matter. Rigid fiberglass and rockwool all the way...

:drunk:

you can make your buck go A LOT further with a skosh of DIY. I know you said you're not much of a diy'er but other than lopping a couple of fingers off, whudda ya got to lose?
:D

nah....check it out and I bet you can find an idea or two that'll be fairly easy to make and save you a few bucks that you can spend on gear.
;)

hmm, maybe i should look into abit of DIY then. I was looking at something like this aswell Although it is abit expensive, probably does a good job right?

http://www.gikacoustics.co.uk/room-kit-3-55800-exc-vat65565-inc-vat-12-p.asp

If you're handy with a saw and have a couple weekends you can kill for research and construction, you can probably DIY for about half that cost- maybe less. If you'd rather buy, I'd take the GIK stuff over any piece of foam any day of the week... :)

Bare in mind i got no diy skills so i can only do the bare minimum of that.

Bet if you were dieing of thirst in the desert you'd learn some DIY skills real fast. Fact is buddy, you NEVER learn them by saying you got none.:rolleyes: This is where THINKING comes into play.

DIY'ing acoustic panels made from OC703 or equivalent is not difficult at all. At the top of the Studio Build forum is a stickie that will help you locate the stuff you need. In the US, a good supplier is SPI and they are located in many cities.

I personally prefer the Johns Manville Rigid Fibreboard over Owens Corning 703. The JM stuff doesn't crumble as easily and has the same density and is about the same price.

There are lots of threads that discuss different ways to make panels. I use light fabric from the Walmart clearance bin ($1.5/yd) to cover mine then hang them on the wall using carpet tack strips. So far so good.

Good luck and have fun

Edit: Just noticed you're in the UK. No problem, plenty of suppliers there too, though I am under the impression Rockwool is more prevalent.

ok mate but that sticky is all about fibreglass? is that wat bass traps and stuff are made out of?
What is the most important thing to have for treating a room? and what materials will i need to build it?
xxx

ok mate but that sticky is all about fibreglass? is that wat bass traps and stuff are made out of?
What is the most important thing to have for treating a room? and what materials will i need to build it?
xxx
Yes rigid fiberglass or mineral wool. Bass traps are most important. You need rigid fiberglass/mineral wool, a frame and some fabric. You can find knauf rocksilk (mineral wool) pretty cheap here in the UK. I just bought a 4 pack of 4" Knauf Universal Slab RS60 for £18 at a local builders merchant which I'm using for my first ever acoustic consultancy job :). The panels should work out at roughly £15 each depending on wood and fabric costs.

Now you're talking.. The insulationexpress stuff, that's what you want. The 100mm x 600mm x 1200mm (appx 4"x2'x4') - a 4 pack for £31. Wrap em in your favorite fabric, you have 4 nice inexpensive panels. Stick em in the corners at 45º angles, you'll be off to a great start.

IDK what that stuff on your other link is..

ok do i not need anything else? just litterally wrap them in fabric? i thought i needed like that hard fiber stuff?
xxx

ok do i not need anything else? just litterally wrap them in fabric? i thought i needed like that hard fiber stuff?
xxx

I use a light fabric myself. The conventional wisdom is if you can blow through it easily then sound will travel through it easily and it won't filter out any particular freq's. That will let the panel do its job.

Then you have to figure a way to hang the panels on the wall. I used carpet tack strips with some success. If the panels don't move, then they stay on the wall. However, I had a panel on a door and it kept falling off. I eventually left it off because it wasn't really serving a purpose there.

Here's a thread where I show how I made my panels. (About halfway down the thead)

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=279814

have fun,

well as for hanging i was thinking about making some kind of a stand so i dont actually have to mount them.

Looking at that thread it seems you discuss more about mounting the traps rather then making them, first things first i need to know how to make them properly.

At the minute im guessing all i need is the insulation i posted before and some material to wrap it in? do i need like fiber board or mdf aswell or summut like that?
xx

xxx
Nope. I think your getting mixed up with fiberglass that is used to make boats, car bodywork etc. Rigid fiberglass that we talk about is simply compressed fluffy insulation, like loft insulation.

well as for hanging i was thinking about making some kind of a stand so i dont actually have to mount them.

Looking at that thread it seems you discuss more about mounting the traps rather then making them, first things first i need to know how to make them properly.

At the minute im guessing all i need is the insulation i posted before and some material to wrap it in? do i need like fiber board or mdf aswell or summut like that?
xx
Nope, just a timer frame really. Like these or even simpler:
bass-trap-DSC_0995-72.jpg

Back