Room too small?

solo.guitar

I've heard it's almost impossible to get a good sounding room if it's small.

So what is 'too' small?

My bedroom is 12'x10'x9 (12' wide, 10' long, 9' ceiling). Would it be a waste of time trying to treat it?

I record acoustic guitar.

Thanks.

Reactions: apl
So should I just put bass traps in all the corners? And what should I do about the walls? Mid/high frequency absorption?

Should I test the room before I attempt to treat it? Would testing the room be pointless if I don't have the right mic/monitors, etc.?

Seems like the more I read into it the more confused I get. :confused:

Seems like the more I read into it the more confused I get.
Welcome to the pit of acoustics. :rolleyes: Leave a rope trail to escape Alices rabbit hole. Few survive afrer entering. Prepare for loss of interest in recording/living while your exploration of the pit takes place. Your familiararity with the physical world will be tested as well. Firmly grasp reality before entering. And don't say I didn't warn you. :) Oh, and take a flashlight. Its VERY dark in there. :D

I'm building a room whose interior dimensions will probably end up being 12'x14', approximately. I have read in here and probably agree that more room than that would be ideal, but we work with what we have to work with.
In my opinion, I wouldn't say it is a waste of your time at all if that is the only option you have. Read through these threads and their links to discover all of the ways you can make it better.

I've read that article twice.

I've also read through these forums a lot. I must be dense because I still have a hard time grasping all of this. And I usually forget things soon after reading them.

My main concern is testing my room before I invest in bass traps, etc. From what I've read, you can't really have enough bass traps so I'm not too worried about that, actually. It's the mid/high frequency absorption that I'm worried about. I don't want to do more harm than good.

I downloaded Ethan's testing MP3s as well as a RoomEQ testing program which I'm still learning how to use. I also need to pick up an SPL meter.

I'm not really sure how to use the MP3s to test the room? Do I play them through my "monitors" and record them with the mic? And put the mic where I'd normally be sitting?

Wouldn't I need accurate monitors/microphone to do this?

:confused: :confused:

If you have a room, you can be 99% certain that you can get very close to what you want by the following. Add straddling the corner 2' x 4' 703 panel traps floor to ceiling for bass control in each corner. Put 2' x 4' 703 panels to create a reflection free zone where you monitor. Scatter more of those panels around, never opposite of each other, until about 1/3 of the walls are covered. Do something, like loaded bookcases or diffusors to break up the flatness of the walls.

You'll have better acoustics in that room than you'll ever need.

solo.guitar said:
I've read that article twice.

I've also read through these forums a lot. I must be dense because I still have a hard time grasping all of this. And I usually forget things soon after reading them

My main concern is testing my room before I invest in bass traps, etc. From what I've read, you can't really have enough bass traps so I'm not too worried about that, actually. It's the mid/high frequency absorption that I'm worried about. I don't want to do more harm than good.

I downloaded Ethan's testing MP3s as well as a RoomEQ testing program which I'm still learning how to use. I also need to pick up an SPL meter.

I'm not really sure how to use the MP3s to test the room? Do I play them through my "monitors" and record them with the mic? And put the mic where I'd normally be sitting?

Wouldn't I need accurate monitors/microphone to do this?

:confused: :confused:

You have gotten some great advice so just go through it all and worry about getting it the first time. :D

You do not have to really worry about putting to much bass trapping in your room, but keep in mind that you start to have diminishing returns also. Meaning after a certain amount things only going to get a little better. I would bet that if you put 8 to 10 4" bass traps in your room, straddling front and back corners and maybe a few ceiling to wall corners, you would be starting to get pretty close to a good room to work in.
Well after doing the first reflections also.

Glenn

Glenn

apl said:
If you have a room, you can be 99% certain that you can get very close to what you want by the following. Add straddling the corner 2' x 4' 703 panel traps floor to ceiling for bass control in each corner. Put 2' x 4' 703 panels to create a reflection free zone where you monitor. Scatter more of those panels around, never opposite of each other, until about 1/3 of the walls are covered. Do something, like loaded bookcases or diffusors to break up the flatness of the walls.

You'll have better acoustics in that room than you'll ever need.

Thanks for the quick, easy-to-understand-because-im-an-idiot advice. ;)

I'm going to start with some bass traps, and I guess by 'straddling' the walls you mean like a foot of space between the walls and traps? I've already read a few DIY articles on bass traps so that should be real easy.

Bookcases aren't an option because I barely have enough room for my guitars, amps, computer desk, bed, etc. I'll figure something out though.

Thanks for the advice. :cool:

solo.guitar said:
I guess by 'straddling' the walls you mean like a foot of space between the walls and traps?

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#fiberglass traps

corner-trap.gif

Ah, thanks.

I'm definately in need of bass traps. I played a short recording I made on acoustic guitar, and stood in the corners to test and it was really noticeable. :(

I also have some ringing when I clap my hands real hard. I'll worry about that after the bass traps though.

Thanks again for the help. :cool:

I am in your same situation, i just decided to go ahead and deal with it. Well sort of, i'm actually in a worse situation as i live in my room. Which is soon to change. So i've done the beginning stages and will continue when it becomes purely for recording.

Anyway, before you get really caught up on everything, build accouple of bass traps. Put them up. See how it works, hear the improvement. It will just help you understand where the trouble is with your particular room, and helps as a guide what you want to achieve. But most importantly, atleast for me, it just made things more clear. Helped me understand why something works. You can read all day, etc, but when it's right infront of you, it just seems easier, atleast for me. You just seem to be in a similar place i was, i finally just when ahead and started, knowing things i need to do, but not knowing exactly what i needed or even wanted to do.

Back