room sound is driving me nuts!!

Randy5235

concrete here concrete there concrete everywhere. sheesh. went to try to record some acoustic guitar tonight. I can't win. i'm convinced its gonna take thousands to fix this dam room. i tried sitting on the nice plush couch that did seem to help a little not alot though :( i might have to start tracking in a smaller room at least i can probably afford to treat a smaller room .......grrr....frustrated sorry for the rant
any ideas :( :confused:

Buy some cheap second hand blankets

Go to a Salvation Army Store or Goodwill, and get some old blankets. Hang them on the walls or better yet suspend them from the ceiling about 4 inches from the walls. (Clothes line will do!)

You don't have to cover every wall completely, just experiment.

They might not be pretty but they will do the trick. If you have a few more bucks you could look into other sound deadening material. and once again, just experiment a little at a time until you tame the room's early reflections.

Dom:)

problem is this room is 24'X 54' X 14' and almost all of it is concrete :( i may just start tracking in my bedroom at least its a manageable size. also i got some 2' wedge tiles ( i need ALOT more than i have currently and I plan on getting some 4' as well) should I start near the floor and work my way up or start at ceiling and work down i'm currently spacing them out a bit sorta like
<> <> <> <> <>
<> <> <> <> <>
<> <> <> <> <>

planning on putting the 4' tiles in the centers if that makes sense
<> = tile pointing diagonal like a diamond
also alternating the wedge facing like this if this as well
/// \\\ /// \\\ ///
\\\ /// \\\ /// \\\
/// \\\ /// \\\ ///

i hope someone can understand that :)

have about 1' between tiles both horizontally and verticaly and about 2'-2 1/2' diagonally

Last edited:
Maybe make a "dead corner" and record accoustic instruments facing into it with the couch behind you?

Find some links on the web concerning homemade diffussors. Cheap plywood and fiberglass can go along way. Air tight (or calked I think is the term they use) boxes about 6 inches deep with appropriate fiberglass on the facing side, seems to be the low cost ticket. There's a bumch of sites out there about how to make them.

i've been looking into that but i can't find anywhere in dallas that carries either mineral wool (rock variety ) or rigid fiberglass and i don't have the $$$ to order the minimum order on either of these
Randy5235
I do like the dead corner idea though that might work

Most people would LOVE to have a room that size to work with. How are you with the ol' power tools? You could build 2 rooms, each different, in that space. Versatility is good.

It may not be the room that's giving you a hard time. Is your guitar good? Does it have new strings? Are you a decent player? What kind of mic are you using? Where are you putting the mic? What kind of preamp are you using? What tracking medium are you using? What kind of monitors are you using? How are you powering them? How is your control room laid out?

just have too much concrete.......... need more $$$ for treatment that is my next goal no more gear till i get this room sounding decent with the gear i have. Could probably use to change the strings. guitar has a nice warm tone sound good elsewhere. using either an oktave 12 or 319 on it they both exhibit the same problem.. there's an ass load of reverb in here. I can do the old clap test and here a VERY distinct sound for almost 1 to 2 seconds after the clap. I may not be the best player but i certainly am not adding the reverb with my style ;)

Randy, I don't know how you feel about traveling, but I know of 2 places in Round Rock that sell rockwool and 703 without having to buy a minimum order.

If you're interested, PM me.

Back