room noise reduction

Ratchethead

Eibwen
I'm wondering what ideas are out here about reducing background noise in a room while recording. I record at home, in the kitchen. I have yet to be able to put the mic in a different room from my pc, fridge, etc. Anyone have suggestions about how to reduce room noise and ambient reverb?

I am thinking of creating a "portable booth," by hang a bunch of blankets from a hoop around the mic and singer. Just to reduce some of the room reverb and background high end...we'll see about that. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. when I get to trying my "booth" idea I'll post pictures, instructions, if the thing does what I hope/think it will.

Sincerely,

Try using an expander. An expander works like a pretty sophisticated noise gate (or a noise gate works like a very heavy handed expander.) The idea is that you set your threshold and anything below that threshold is not allowed to pass through. You can set it to affect differtnt dB above differntly. Ideally if you were miking an amp, you could set it so that when there is no signal going to the amp you get no signal, but if you put your fingers on the strings (giving signal to the amp) you start to hear it. I picked up one for about $100 I haven't used it yet since I haven't had a session yet, but, I hear good things about them.

You could stand a hardshell guitar case on end on a chair or table opened up with a mic inside pointing out. That would take care of the room verb and some of the background noise.

A noise gate will only stop the background noise in between the singing and will do nothing during it.

The best answer is to find another room.:o:p

1) Record your vocals

2) Don't change any settings, but record an empty track (i.e. just background noise) for the same length of time as your vocals

3) phase invert the 'blank' track of background noise

4) These 2 track should cancel each other out and leave your vocals clean, but it will not be perfect, will only reduce a constant hum or buzz a little.

5) Try a new room

Thanks...

The suggestions were excellent! I especially like the phase cancellation idea, very creative. I picked up a dbx gate/compressor rack mount deely. wish i had splurged for the version that touted the expander and limiter options as well.

I'm still not sure what "expansion" really means or if it differs from "downward expansion" but will check my newbie glossary and answer that one "on own" as my wonderful son said when he got the idea.

I also understand quite clearly that a new room, both for recording and for this post, are in order. Thanks for the subtle suggestions about those aspects of my question. I apologize for posting this question here instead of my Newbie section. That being said, I'll see if I can get it moved.

Thanks again all :), I'm looking foward to many, quieter, recordings.

be well,

Get a power strip, and plug your fridge into into it. Make sure you can reach the switch on the strip. Turn off fridge while recording. Don't forget to turn it back on.

ah simplicity

Thanks NL5,
Sometimes the simplist ideas, are the most silent. If I can't change rooms, just change the room itself!

Some good suggestions...

I suspect that my situation is similar to yours. My PC/DAW is in my kitchen because there is absolutely no other logical place to put it right now. When I record, I stretch out a couple of mic cables into the living room (which has carpet, couch, recliner, ect.) to get away from the kitchen's nastiness. I sit facing the couch to help with reflections...at least I think it helps It isn't perfect, but it's better than the kitchen. It's really a pain in the butt to have to keep going back into the kitchen to check levels, but oh well...it's a small price to pay for better recordings. :D Now if I can only remember to turn the central A/C off before I press record. :rolleyes:

I sit facing the couch to help with reflections...at least I think it helps It isn't perfect, but it's better than the kitchen.

Actually, you might find the couch to be a great absorber. Sitting on the couch may control things much better.

In addition, I rigged up a couple rolling "gobo's" for my VO studio using nothing more than rolling garment racks from Target and a couple heavy packing blankets. Draped the blankets over the garment racks and used a pair of gator-clips to keep them in place. When not in use, remove the blankets, fold down the racks, and stash 'em in a closet. Works like a charm.

I like the suggestion of the gate and setting it appropriately. Usually, most sources drown out the noise when recording, but it is the spaces where the noise adds up.

NL5 ...actually a great idea. ... and simple! :cool:

Actually, you might find the couch to be a great absorber. Sitting on the couch may control things much better.

Do you think sitting on the couch would be better than facing the couch? I guess it might keep more of the reflections out of the mics since the mics will be facing the couch. Is this right?

Do you think sitting on the couch would be better than facing the couch? I guess it might keep more of the reflections out of the mics since the mics will be facing the couch. Is this right?

Correct. Same principle as putting a baffle behind someone singing. Assuming most folks are using simple cardoid condenser or dynamic mics for guitar and voice recording, the reflection from the wall across the room (and behind the mic) is a small problem compared with noise that the mic might be pointing at.

If the OP could also place some sort of baffle between the noise source (e.g. fridge) and the recording position, that would be even better.

When I record, I stretch out a couple of mic cables into the living room (which has carpet, couch, recliner, ect.) to get away from the kitchen's nastiness...It's really a pain in the butt to have to keep going back into the kitchen to check levels, but oh well...it's a small price to pay for better recordings.

Thanks again to all. Dastrick: I used the transport controls on a keyboard w/rotary midi knobs and/or NanoKontrol by Korg, a powered hub and long USB cables, headphone ext. and got the rig into my son's room (by the kitchen). this allowed me to hear and Kontrol the mix without having to leave the room.

and another question, i've been searching newbie and other threads but haven't found a satisfactory explaination for gate vs. expander (downward or otherwise) and how to apply each effectively...i think i've set things up so the gate creates artifacts (new noises) in its operation (should I post this as a new newbie thread? does even asking the question answer it?)

thanks to the seasoned vet and lightly spiced alike.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
Turn off the breaker for the fridg and furnace.

Hang a sleeping bag in a V (2 mic stands do nicely) behind the mic to minimize sound getting out into the room in the first place (sing into the V). Then hang another sleeping bag on a stand behind the singer to minimize any reflections that do happen from reaching the front of the mic.

Some say hold an umbrella over your head as a diffuser, but I have hard time playing guitar when I do this.

and another question, i've been searching newbie and other threads but haven't found a satisfactory explaination for gate vs. expander (downward or otherwise) and how to apply each effectively...i think i've set things up so the gate creates artifacts (new noises) in its operation (should I post this as a new newbie thread? does even asking the question answer it?)

This might warrant a whole new thread on gates and expanders, but the basic principle is that a Gate is sort of like an audio-activated on/off switch. It shuts off the signal path until audio of a certain threshold is achieved, at which the audio path turns on.

An Expander is more like a reverse-compressor. The compressor reduces signal strength when the audio hits a set threshold, whereas an expander reduces volume until the audio hits a set threshold. Once the threshold is achieved, the expander opens up to allow the audio to pass. Some expanders do this gradually, some do not, others allow the user to control how quickly the expander opens and closes. Expanders generally include rate settings, which controls how much volume reduction occurs to your signal until the threshold is met.

Some say hold an umbrella over your head as a diffuser, but I have hard time playing guitar when I do this.

Ha that's really funny, you could try one of those umbrella hats though :D, I'd love to see a studio picture of some singer taking their art really seriously in a vocal booth belting out some soulfull elody wearing an umbrella hat.

OP didn't tell us what kind of mics but I like a nice dynamic (SM7B) over a condensor for home recording. takes some of the room problems out of the equation right away plus you don't end up with the sounds of passing cars outside noises or the sound of a cat farting 5000 yards away like you seem to with condensors

I usually gate everything (using software) after the fact to minimise little backround noises on all the tracks to try and get the sound as cean as possible and mute tracks when they're not playing so as not to get any wierd effects artifacts etc.

will that get rid of say the computer fan in the background i recorded an acoustic gtr w/ condensor in the same room as the computer and later o notice that the fan is knd of annoying if the track is soloed but whith the rest of the mix u cant really hear it..thoughts

mics

right, didn't say what mics i'm using: AKG perception 200, sm57, or MXL993. all pick up fridge (soon to be unlugged) and cpu fan if in same room. now using preamp+gate/comp dbx then ai. no cat farts at any range...

Back