Room Modes

Velvet Elvis

Ahh humma humma humma
Hey all...

I have a friend who is looking to do some bass trapping etc in a church that he recently got a job at.

The dimensions of the room are 97 feet wide x 73 feet deep, with a ceiling height of 28 feet.

The floor is hardwood (basketball court) and the ceiling is exposed metal rafters with sheet metal roofing on top.

The walls are concrete block.

Obviously they are having extreme issues with bass buildup and reflection from about every surface in the room.

Can someone tell me the 'trouble' frequencies based on the room dimensions that we should start looking at to cut back some of the issues.

They don't want the room to be dead, they just want to get rid of some of the bass buildup and *some* of the high end reverberation.

I'd appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks,
Velvet Elvis

Elvis,

> The dimensions of the room are 97 feet wide x 73 feet deep, with a ceiling height of 28 feet ... Can someone tell me the 'trouble' frequencies based on the room dimensions <

Room dimensions and problem mode frequencies are not a factor in a space that large. Once you get to that size, reducing the reverb time is what matters. However, the solution is still the same - broadband absorption that's effective to as low a frequency as possible. And in a room that size they'll need a fair amount of absorption.

--Ethan

Ethan,

Thanks for the comments.

I've actually been steering my friend towards your site... possibly with the idea of purchasing some of your traps if you think the would do the trick.

Can you give me an idea of how you would work the room?

I was thinking of doing alternating absorption on opposite walls (absorb on one wall for 10 feet without absorption on the opposite wall for 10 feet... and then reverse etc.)

I was also thinking of bass trapping on the back wall (they have issues with the back of the room getting really boomy).

Lastly, I was thinking of adding some hangers from the rafters (maybe wrapped insulation) to cut down reverberation from the ceiling.

Does this seem reasonable? If this were you, what would you do and how many traps would you think we would need?

Thanks a bunch!

Velvet Elvis

Elvis,

> Can you give me an idea of how you would work the room? <

If they came to my company asking for advice, I'd recommend a number of MiniTraps. How many depends on their budget and how good results they're hoping for. If the budget is low I'd suggest MicroTraps in place of some or all of the MiniTraps. MicroTraps don't absorb to as low a frequency as MiniTraps, but they're still effective to the lower midrange, and they cost less. If you think they're serious about treating this space professionally, have them call or send me email - the email address is on the Contact page of our site.

> alternating absorption on opposite walls ... bass trapping on the back wall ... adding some hangers from the rafters <

Yes, all of that will help.

--Ethan

Back