Room Layout?

raximus

Hi there, i just purchased a digi 003+ Rack, M Audio BX5a Deluxe monitors, A Studio Projects C1, the Audix DP7 mic pack and an Imac 20".

I am about to set up my home studio.

I was wondering if you could offer advice on;

1) Where to set up instruments (ie drums) and the recording gear
2) How to acoustically treat the room

I have attached a photo and a diagram of the layout of the room.

Thanks

James

Attachments

• room layout.jpg
    room layout.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMGP1593.jpg
    IMGP1593.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 126
1) Where to set up instruments (ie drums) and the recording gear

You should have the speakers at the left side of the room facing toward the right. Slide the bed to the right if you can to make room. More here:

How to set up a room

Then put the drums and other instruments at the right side too, behind you.

2) How to acoustically treat the room

All rooms need:

* Broadband (not tuned) bass traps straddling as many corners as you can manage, including the wall-ceiling corners. More bass traps on the rear wall behind helps even further. You simply cannot have too much bass trapping. Real bass trapping, that is - thin foam and thin fiberglass don't work to a low enough frequency.

* Mid/high frequency absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling.

* Some additional amount of mid/high absorption and/or diffusion on any large areas of bare parallel surfaces, such as opposing walls or the ceiling if the floor is reflective. Diffusion on the rear wall behind you is also useful in larger rooms.

For the complete story see my Acoustics FAQ.

There's a lot of additional non-sales technical information on my company's web site - articles, videos, test tones and other downloads, and much more.

--Ethan

Hi Ethan, thanks for the quick reply.

So you think i should have the desk up against the wall where the curtains are?

I'm not sure thats possible because that means i would be having it below the window and wouldn't be able to shut the curtains.

Is there a problem with having it where its placed?

If i kept it where it is, where should i set up the drum set?

Thanks

James

RaxDude :D

Ya don't really want a mixing desk right up against a wall anyway. Give the sound a little room to breathe. Ideally, havin the desk roughly 1/3 of the way into the room is optimum. Not always feasible I know. Do whatcha can tho.

And putting the desk so your back is to the long part of the room is always best.

my thoughts...

Move the pesky bed out and you would have the start of a great room. Then all you need is somewhere to sleep.

Cheers

Alan.

Don't make the common mistake of shoving the drums into a corner. A bit of space around the drums will help in more ways than one. Corners create reflections and make recording more difficult. Also working room around the drums makes mic placement a lot easier. I don't mean you need the drums in the middle of the room, just far enough out so you can access them from all sides and so they have a little "breathing room." If the cymbals seem too harsh, a cloud suspended above the set works wonders.

Back