Room for vocals?

FourEyesRock

I recently finished my first demo and I noticed the vocals didnt fit the mix at all. I spoke with a friend and he mentioned leaving enough "room". Can someone explain to me how to leave "room" for the vocals and how to properly mix them into the track? I tried everything and I couldnt figure out why they sounded so out of place. ( Yes the singer was terrible but either way...) I am currently using a Marshall MXL57 through my Art tube pre amp...any advice guys?

At least 3/4 of people's mix problems have to do with the song's arrangement - the other 1/4 is sonic issues with the way they tracked.

The way you leave room for the vocals is to LEAVE ROOM FOR THE VOCALS!

You don't need a 40 guitar rhythm section, combined with several synth tracks, horns, bass, a full drum kit (without double kick, of course!) - not to mention solos - to get the song across....

Keep the arrangement clean, tight, and simple - then you won't be complaining about "no room for xxxxxxxxx!!!!"

Big blue is right, dont be afraid to go back through and cut excessive stuff out of your mix. Your first job is to convey the message of the music, and most of the time, we try to make it intricate and buisy, when it needs to be focused and meaningful. We want to show off our 200 different fills on the set, our 13 min Steve Via solo, and Victor Wooten mad bass skills, when it is not necessary to. And think of your audience, most of them are mindless music listeners who pay attention to the mood and the feel, instead of the different instrumentation in the mix.

Start the mix with the vocals and drums. Add other instruments one at a time, listening carefully as each instrument is added. If something covers the vocals up, you need to decide what to do with it. If it is not too bad, you can sometimes use EQ to remove a section of the instrument that is covering the vocals. Sometimes you may decide that the instrument is not needed at all and just drop it. Other times you may decide that the instrument is an important part, but was recorded with an incompatible tone so you go back and re-record it correctly. Just be sure to listen carefully to each part and be sure you know what it adds and what it covers.

Jblount said:
We want to show off our ... Victor Wooten mad bass skills,
By all means, if you actually have Victor Wooten mad bass skills, show them off whenever possible. :D I mean it. In the middle of a piano solo, when the opera guy is holding the high note, waiting in line at the bank, sitting in a meeting. Whenever. At least I would.

*note: Chibi Nappa is not responsible for any tasteless arrangements that may result from following the above advise. Show off your mad Victor Wooten skills at your own risk.*

Chibi Nappa said:
By all means, if you actually have Victor Wooten mad bass skills, show them off whenever possible. :D I mean it. In the middle of a piano solo, when the opera guy is holding the high note, waiting in line at the bank, sitting in a meeting. Whenever. At least I would.

*note: Chibi Nappa is not responsible for any tasteless arrangements that may result from following the above advise. Show off your mad Victor Wooten skills at your own risk.*

LOL! He's right. In most cases I'd say the song is more important, but if we're talking Victor..

What Jblount said...

is right.

The human voice is the most disctinctive part of a song (assuming its not an instrumental!) and the one that EVERYONE will listen to first. After the general vibe, it is the single most important determining factor in whether people will like your track or not IMHO. Therefore if something is fighting the vocal in the mix then it has to go completely, or be re-recorded in a way that it doesn't fight.

The average listener isn't interested in musicianship per se, but the feel of the song and the lead vocal is what reaches out and comunicates with them.

A further thought. Sometimes this can happen when people record the backing music first and leave all vocals till last. It doesn't become apparent till too late that there's a clash. To avoid this always get a rough lead vocal recorded for the musicians to overdub along to and it should be apparent early on that there's a 'space' problem.

Back