room ambiance

mossburn

room ambiance i get an echo type effect, everytime i record.

I wont say it echos, but it sound echoish.

Is there anyway around this besides building a booth, or turing the mic gain all the way down.

Because when i do turn it down to far, the aw16g does pick my vocals aw well.

Hang a heavey blanket behind you when you sing. You could just move to a different part of the room, the mic is obviously pointing at where the echo/verb is coming from. Change that and you change the problem.

One thing I've done is use various kinds of baffles. You can buy them (zzounds or any other company like that sells them) or improvise. Mattresses, foam rubber tacked to walls, curtains, anything that'll break up those sound waves and keep them from reflecting back.

Yea, experiment a little. Heavier cloth will absorb sound. Particularly low freq. Make the room dead. Lighter cloth with a lot of folds/pleats will keep sound from bouncing around. Don't forget the floor, too.

Nick98338 said:
Heavier cloth will absorb sound. Particularly low freq. Make the room dead.
Just an extended question on this thread... What is the cheapest way to treat a room? I have built a couple of vocal booths and used free carpet padding found in dumpsters outside of carpet giant, but in the room I'm working with now it would make for quite a mess. I wouldn't really like to record in a room that looks like someone threw up on the walls and the ceiling... I can't afford Auralex quite yet though, not to mention the price of comforters these days... I just need a dead room (about 15' x 15') for as cheap as possible. It has carpet, but everything else might as well be tile the way it sounds on the recordings...

pikingrin said:
Just an extended question on this thread... What is the cheapest way to treat a room? I have built a couple of vocal booths and used free carpet padding found in dumpsters outside of carpet giant, but in the room I'm working with now it would make for quite a mess. I wouldn't really like to record in a room that looks like someone threw up on the walls and the ceiling... I can't afford Auralex quite yet though, not to mention the price of comforters these days... I just need a dead room (about 15' x 15') for as cheap as possible. It has carpet, but everything else might as well be tile the way it sounds on the recordings...

Well, I'm no acoustical engineer, but.......I built a mic booth out of 2x2's and moving blankets. My local lumber yard has a sound deadening panel that is supposed to go under drywall, called "homasote" that I use because I cannot afford to have Corning 703 shipped in. I use an old sleeping bag sandwiched in between two movers blankets to contain my guitar amp sound. I slid a couple of homasote panels in between the movers blankets in the mic booth walls. It just creates a semi-dead space around the mic, since my basement is the room I have to deal with.

I also read Ethan Winers site, then I built 2' by 6' panels outof 1x6 boards, use 2x2 for feet so it will stand up, fill the box with R19 paperback fiberglass insulation, staple fabric over it on the front to contain the fiberglass, then put a homasote panel on the back to deflect low freqs in the corners. I built 6 or 8 of these, place them in corners and various places, to absorb higher freqs and to stop standing bass waves. each panel was about $25.

I'm not sure how any fabric can stop low freqs. I think low freqs have to be deflected or trapped. Stopping low freqs is more related to how dense the material is. And with all due respect, everything I've read, heard, and experienced tells me that all of the glamourous foam treatments being sold are just a ripoff. Foam has never done much if anything to my sound problems, mainly because it's the lows that cause the problems, and foam will not touch the lows at all.

But with the panels I made, even the tone deaf guy next door can hear how much tighter the sound is now.

Back