...Room acoustics?

tbiddy38

I recently turned a bedroom into a studio and i was wondering how "dead" should the vocal booth be? (We have converted the closet into the vocal booth.) We mainly do rap and r&b songs, just to let you guys know...Thank you for the help guys.

i'd rather have a dead room than a bad sounding one.
but i'd rather have a good one than a dead room.

but dead leaves you more options, one a room is on your signal, it's there to stay.

making a dead room is more complicated than just throwing up some auralex all over the walls. You need bass trapping. If you just cover those walls with one inch thick eggcrate crap, you will be in trouble.

bass tends to gather in corners. You will want very thick trapping here. Check your local drywall/insulation suppliers for a product called owens corning 703 or 705 rigid fiberglass insulation. You might also want to look for rockwool. This traps very low frequencies much better than foam, so you will have a more even room, as opposed to a "bass hole".

This insulation is usually wrapped in fabric and put up on walls, to replace foam. Check out http://realtraps.com/facts.htm for more info. Read it, it will help a ton.

The vocal booth itself should be relatively dead. Take the advice given above though about having broadband absorbtion in there. The rest of the room depends on whether you record or monitor in there - 2 different goals.

You're gonna add reverb to the vox right? well if so then completely deaden the room because you can control the reverb better.

notbradsohner said:
making a dead room is more complicated than just throwing up some auralex all over the walls. You need bass trapping. If you just cover those walls with one inch thick eggcrate crap, you will be in trouble.

bass tends to gather in corners. You will want very thick trapping here. Check your local drywall/insulation suppliers for a product called owens corning 703 or 705 rigid fiberglass insulation. You might also want to look for rockwool. This traps very low frequencies much better than foam, so you will have a more even room, as opposed to a "bass hole".

This insulation is usually wrapped in fabric and put up on walls, to replace foam. Check out http://realtraps.com/facts.htm for more info. Read it, it will help a ton.

I second this opinion and to that end I threw a couple of these http://www.gikacoustics.com/ in my auralex filled booth.. Had plenty in my mixing room.. and boy did it doo the trick. the auralex alone won't deaden the room. Deadend her right up and kept that boxy sound from creeping into my vocals!

The 4" GIK panels will also do a nice job straddling a corner for a broadband bass absorber in the control room.

"This (room) is only Mostly Dead"

'What do you mean? Dead is dead!"

"Look who knows so much! Mostly dead.... is slightly alive."

:D (Someone *has* to recognize that...)

You won't be able to get it completely dead, but that's OK. The trick is to get it mostly dead in a good way. Pay attention to the frequencies that are dead and the ones that are alive- deadening rarely works evenly across the whole spectrum without knowing what you're doing.

-Chris

Back