Roland VS-880 or 1680

belltunes

I'm a songwriter doing demos and most of the instrumentation. Very rarely recording multiple instruments at the same time. Which unit would be the best application for me and what are the main differences between the units besides the amount of tracks? Thanks!!

Besides the tracks, it seems that the 1680's software updates seem to be better. It had a virtual mastering room which is pretty cool, and a few other things here and there, but I think it is mostly the extra tracks. If you think you will need them, and you got the $, the 1680 won't dissappoint you. IF you can stick to around 8, then the 880 will work. You can always get an 880 now, and if you outgrow it get a 1680 and synch them together....lots of power!

The 880 is great for making professional sounding recordings and should be great for what you're doing. The advantage of the 1680 is being able to mix down to additional tracks. If you get into using the virtual tracks on the 880 then it gets a little more technical but the results can be fantastic with a little practice.

He's right, the 1680 has become more of Roland's flagship digital recorder and is probably the best candidate for future upgrades and such. However, should you choose to add on another recorder later on, they will be compatible.

Back