Roland Vs 840 Gx

magoo

FINISHED BUILDING STUDIO IN THIRD CAR GARAGE. 27 LIGHTING OUTLETS, FULLY SOUND DEADNED MIXING ROOM WITH SOUND PROOFED BOOTH INSIDE. GETTING READY TO PURCHASE DIGITAL RECORDING UNIT. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF ROLAND VRS BOSS AND MAINLY ROLANDS VS840GX? AM ALSO LOOKING AT ROLANDS VS890. HOWEVER, IT'S GETTING PRETTY EXPENSIVE AT THAT POINT. I JUST DON'T WANT TO MAKE THE WRONG DECISION AND NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR OTHER EQUIPT. ALSO DON'T WANT TO UNDER BUY EITHER. I STILL HAVE TO PURCHASE CD BURNER AND MIXING BOARD AS WELL. MOST OF MY PRESENT EQUIPT IS SO USED AND OUTDATED THAT I CANT GET GOOD RECORDINGS ANYMORE. ANY HELP WOULD BE WELCOME.

THANKS

MAGOO;) :)

Hi,

I would like to wish you succes with finishing that garage.
You can maybe sell your outdated gear first, to see to it that you can afford a VS890. I 'm using a VS880EX, and very fast you might realise that you'll need more tracks to record at the same time. I understand from other people, that the VS1680 goes pretty cheep on the second hand market. A lot of people look for bargins at htt://www.ebay.com

Regards from Belgium,
Hano

Yeah, just get a used 1680...

I think you'd be selling yourself short with a VS840.

I mean, a 250Mb Zip drive is waaaay out of touch, considering the price of large capacity drives today.

It wasn't a bad deal three years ago when I got mine, but by today's standards....well, let's just say, you'll be better off if you get a recorder with a hard drive.

Hey Hano, you seem familiar. Do I know you?

I am familiar, Wawwa. Good to see here. A living soul again.. and yes, you know me. The Planet is out since two days, so I decided to tresspass along here..... See ya brother.
Hano :D
the one and only

Even the 8 tracks of the VS1880 are hardly enough if you want to track a whole band. Drums eat tracks. You need at least 6 tracks for drums only if you want to track everything seperatelly!!

Well... Look at other brands too. The VS series are nice, but there are other nice boxes.

Definitely go 890 or above. I've had the 880 since around '97 and think it's awesome. Check out www.vsplanet.com for VS-series resources.

One useful aspect of the VS-series is that they integrate a lot of outboard stuff onto the system. Especially the excellent effects processors. Cuts the costs of quality outboard gear down.

Matt

Hmmmm

Ummm. About tracking drums. I do it the old budget way. I go from my mackie 1202 VLZ to Tracks 7/8 on my good old VS840EX.

I need more tracks though so I am thinking of adding a computer to the equasion. Do any of you guys use both platforms simultainiously <--- Spelt wrong :) ?

Yes. I've used Cakewalk, Cubasis, and Cubase sync'ed with the VS-880. I mainly do this to sync MIDI patterns with the VS and save on audio tracks. It works fairly well with Cubase/Cubasis because you can control these programs with the VS and vice versa. However, you cannot (adequately) control Cakewalk with the VS.

One prob with sync'ing the PC to the VS is you defeat some of the benefits of a standalone studio. Namely you may run into PC software and hardware conflicts and crashes.

Matt

I have been using a mac for the last 2 years and I have used Cakewalk Metro4 for Midi. I am now in need of at least 2 more tracks to expand my vs840Ex and I have switched to PC to do this.

My only concern is that the 840Ex likes to be the master and not the slave. I am scared of latency issues.

Korg D12 12 Track Digital Recorder

Ran across another recorder that looks pretty good for the money and features it provides. It also seems to come with it's own built in CD burner. All for about $900.00.

Anyone have any input on the one. I really like Roland vs but for the level I want the price is too high.

Thanks

Magoo

Well... I just know the Roland because I owned one, never worked with the korg. But as I said before, if you want to track a whole band, it's the number of tracks you can record simoultaniously that counts!

The D12 can only record 4(?) tracks at the same time. :eek: It's ok if you mostly work on your own, but if you want to record a demo for a 3 piece band... Just 2 tracks for the drum, 1 guitar, one bass... That's not very much to play with when mixing.

I've been looking into recorders that can do more than 8 tracks lately. Just for 'fun', ain't got the money anyway. Very expensive...

But as someone already mentionned in this thread. A second hand VS1680 would be nice if you're on a budget. (8 tracks of simul. record. The big display is another big pro... The only thing that really bothers me about the VS is the 8 tracks sim rec, and that it's all in one piece, and you cannot use alot of external gear during mixdown. On the other hand, I don't have that gear anyway :D, but still...)

Also, compare the internal effects! Since you cannot use alot of external gear, you are bound to them. Don't know with how many eff and which eff the korg comes. As for the CD/RW, you can hook up a cdrw with all recent recorders, so it's not really a pro. Just a little pro because it's internal maybe.

Back