Roland VS 2480 Thread

ProducerYoda

Hello,

I've been using the VS2480 as the main recording platform in my studio since 1998. I currently own three VS2480 HD and my studio partner has one VS2480 CD. Two of them are installed in the studio and one HD and one CD version at my partner's home set up. Each of the four VS2480 is fully loaded with FX boards (total of 16 FX boards).

My A/D converter is my Alesis HD24. I don't record to the HD24, I just use it as my converter.

Recording chain: Mic --> Mic pre --> HD24 --> ATR24 (ADAT to R-bus) --> VS240

Here is my studio photo showing the two VS2480.
PC Studio Photos

The two VS2480s are sync-ed via MTC. My computer based software can also sync via MTC.

I do my mixing on the VS2480. My 2-track is the Alesis Masterlink. Mastering is done on the Masterlink and sometimes on Sound Forge 10 on the computer.

Check out some of my mixed & mastered mixes that were all recorded and mixed on the VS280. When recorded at MTP 24bit, it is as good as most computer based recording set up.
Ed's Mixes

I have delayed moving to a computer based set up since the VS2480 works so well. I looked at the latest offering in the VS line, the VS-700. Unfortunately the VS-700 I/O or the VS-700 Console DOES NOT support R-Bus or ADAT light pipe. If it did, I would have invested in it when it came out.

When I finally move to a computer based set up, I will probably keep the VS2480 and use it as a control surface via MIDI.

I would be glad to answer any questions if I can. Maybe other legacy VS2480 users can give you an answer if I can't.

VS2480 is an excellent sounding stand alone DAW. There should be some available at a reasonable price. I paid over $3000 for my first one. Few years later I bought one used for $1400 and another one for $1000. If you are looking for one, try to find the HD version with the companion external CDR 3. On the CD versions, the CD burner that comes with the VS2480 is the first thing to go bad and very difficult to find a replacement. The hard drive is buried deep inside the unit and very difficult to replace with a larger drive. The HD version has a swappable HD tray so replacing or upgrading the HD is a snap.

Keep making music everyone !

Ed - "Producer Yoda"

I just found this HomeRecording forum and saw your post. I have the VS-2400CD and use it for the same reasons you stated. I started with the computer and Digital Performer but was constantly having issues with buying the right equipment to make good sounding CD's. I still use DP for sequencing rhythm section parts but I use the Roland to record all of my instrumentals and vocals. I play Sax, flute, trumpet, trombone accordion etc and wanted to concentrate on making music rather than being a computer expert. The Roland 2400 is great! Motorized faders, effects and old-school controls. Let's me write and play music and mix some nice sounding CD's. One question for you ... why do you have two 2480's? Just wondered what you do and why you have this setup?

Hello Tim99,

My practice of having tandem 2480 started in my last studio. I had a slightly larger space with 2 Isolation booths, a control room and a 16ft x 24ft main room.

The drum kit by itself can take up 8 to 16 tracks. Another one for bass. A couple for scratch vocals, a pair for keyboard etc. That is fine for initial drum and bass tracking but I need more open tracks for instrument overdubs and final vocal tracks.

I'll need more open tracks during mixing too. As you know, the VS units only have 8 outs and 8 ins. If I want to use hardware effects units I have to patch them in through my patch bay. Back in my old studio, my partner was still recording to 3 ADAT tape machines sync-ed via SMPTE. After my session, I had to clear my patch bay for his sessions. It was easiest to just record the effects to a stereo pair rather than charting out my effects setting.

When I was recording a lot of bands, I needed more tracks during mixing. Sometimes I added my VS1880 to take up the slack (64 tracks at mix-down).

With my current partner and a smaller studio set up, I'm only recording bands with less than 6 pieces. My partner does a lot of "Hip-Hop / R&B" work and he works with other artists he meets over the internet. They are sending tracks to each other in stereo WAV format. Stereo tracks can quickly eat up track counts.

I just picked up a mixing gig for a local writer/producer doing trailer sound tracks and commercials. A lot of it is symphonic instruments and sound FX. I was told that usually 48 tracks should be enough but if there are good deal of sound FX, track counts can be up to 96. I can do it with 3 VS240 and my Alesis HD24 all running at once.

I'll be upgrading my Sonar 3 (2005 version) to the Sonar X1. Once I do that, any tracks over 48 will be handled by my computer.

Track counts are still important if you are providing recording/mixing service using old school machines. That is why I have two VS2480.

Ed

Ed,
i have had my VS2480 since 1998 also. a great machine! I am currently trading tracks back and forth via send space with a friend to work together long distance. I had been importing music previously, but cannot seem to get any new tracks onto the machine... I am totally stumped. I do not have a Vs2480CD, I have an external CD rack.
ANY help would be awesome!!!

Chris

The VS2480 is my main recorder if Roland was coming out with another I would be the first one at the door to buy it. I have ProTools But the only time I use protools is if somebody brings in a song with a ton of tracks. I am running my 2480 with a 60 gig Sata Solidstate laptop drive that i Installed about a year ago. I still have the 1st VS880,1680 and i put CF cards in them. none of those recorders have never let me down. and I run my studio full time since 1993.

Yea I know what you mean about people send every track in stereo. Bass Gt no effex but some people will send it out in a link stereo track.

Back