Roland VS-2000CD Verses Boss BR1600

Blackwiz

Which one is better? They are both priced at around the same. One has 20 tracks and one has 16, but I've been reading some great reviews on the Boss 1600. Infact, one review, I guy said he wish he hadn't sold his BR 1600 for the VS-2000.

Can anyone help me out?

Edit: Actually, I see he bought the VS-2400(selling his BR-1600). Here is his review.

The sound quality of this unit is fantastic. Only thing is you need an engineering degree to use it. This is not a user friendly machine and will take months of using it to even break the surface of what it takes to record a song using all the componets of this machine. I am disappointed that this unit doesn't have a built in tuner, doesn't have reverb or chorus readily available for all tracks, doesn't have a pair of head phone jacks, doesn't have programmable drum or bass tracks for metering capabilities, and doesn't have effects that can easliy be used on every track with a different effect on each track. The Boss BR1600cd unit that I sold for this Roland "upgrade" had all those things. The sound quality is better on the Roland, but overall I wish I had kept the Boss, much easier to use with very good sound quality.

Now, he says the sound quality is better, but are all of the other features worth getting the BR-1600 over VS-2000CD?

Oh man..... what a hard question...............

.....I've owned BOTH machines..........................................

BR1600
*Great machine, easy to use
*Very fast, work flow is really slick
*Nice amount of effects, including loop effects (reverb, delay, chorus)
*Learning curve not too bad
*Guitar tuner, 2 headphone jacks
*Global Phantom Power (I think)
*Sounds great
*Fun Machine

Vs2000
*Much harder to use, Steep learning curve
*Seems like more work
*18 tracks in 16 or 24 bit
*Much higher resoltuion effects when you add the VS-8F3
*Excellent amount of effects, though some are different than the BR1600
*I guess this is a more "PRO" machine where as the BR1600 is supposed to be a "home" based DAW
*Only 1 headphone jack, but lots of other inputs
*Extremely flexible when it comes to routing - but it's a pain in the a**
*Phantom Power on 2 channels at a time (a nice feature)
*Sounds great to me ears
*Doesn't seem as Fun to use as the BR1600

What should you do ?

Sorry- I don't know.

Hmm...Now I'm really confused. You mention a couple of times that the BR-1600 is fun to use. I dont want a fun toy, so I dont really know how to take that. Unless you mean, its easier to use. Now I know the 1600 isn't a toy, but is the VS-2000 that much more advance or is it just very complicated?

And a question on the headphones jack, how can you solve that problem? I mean, if the VS-2000 has one headphone jack, is there a jack you can use to add more? Is there a way to solve this problem where you can use more headphones?

Hey Blackwiz...

Sorry.... I'm not trying to confuse you.

The headphone jack issue is easily solved by buying a headphone amp. (Probably cost you $50 to $100). But... it seems kind of STUPID for the "PRO" model to come equiped with 1 jack, and the "HOME" DAW equiped with 2.

The only time the headphone thing has been an issue... is when I have guitarist, a bassist, and a drummer who all need headphones.

Can you give me an over-view of all the different kinds of projects you will be working on... how many people you will be recording, and how mobile you will be ?

I will try to give you more info based on that.

(My frustrations right now stem from the fact that I have about $3000 to $4000 Cdn money sunk in to this stuff, and when I sit down at the Roland Vs2000 - I have to do all my routing, dance around all the effects and jump through hoops to get the effects co-ordinated, re-route everything so I can bounce or master tracks ---- it just seems like SO much work compared to the computer stuff (Pro Tools, Adobe Audition). The Boss BR1600 is not nearly the amount of work or setup, but it has less tracks, no 24-bit, and does not feel as "PRO" as the Vs2000)

The BR-1600 and the VS2000 record at the same kHz level...meaning the quality of the sound will be the same on both machines.

I like the BR1600 better, it's easier to get better results on it. You still have 8 inputs, the same kHz, you can't get a mouse and VGA monitor unless with the BR , so if you're into that cut and paste crap it's much easier with the VS, because you can see it. It's still possible to do with the BR but it's a little more work. I'm a big fan of the BR studios, I have the 1180, the 1200 didn't exist yet when I bought mine...I wish I had the 1600. The BR stock patches are pretty good and they're really good once you tinker with them a little. I suggest you go into a large chain music store and go listen to the built in demo songs they have in them and toy with them literally to see which machine you like better changing the effects and stuff. I've done this a few time since I bought mine and I have no regrets getting the BR. Ya, it looks cool to have a screen and mouse but for me, I plug, play and record. That's it, old school style in a way.

All the stuff on my soundclick is recorded on my BR1180. Check it out if you want to hear various results and also check out this guy named Kevin1600, he has great results too and Gorty's soundclick.
This CD was recorded using a BR1180, it's for kids but check out it's possibilities. http://www.unclemoondog.com/songs.html

I vote BR1600 for being user friendly and price.

Dumby said:
I like the BR1600 better, it's easier to get better results on it. You still have 8 inputs, the same kHz, you can't get a mouse and VGA monitor unless with the BR , so if you're into that cut and paste crap it's much easier with the VS, because you can see it. It's still possible to do with the BR but it's a little more work. I'm a big fan of the BR studios, I have the 1180, the 1200 didn't exist yet when I bought mine...I wish I had the 1600. The BR stock patches are pretty good and they're really good once you tinker with them a little. I suggest you go into a large chain music store and go listen to the built in demo songs they have in them and toy with them literally to see which machine you like better changing the effects and stuff. I've done this a few time since I bought mine and I have no regrets getting the BR. Ya, it looks cool to have a screen and mouse but for me, I plug, play and record. That's it, old school style in a way.

All the stuff on my soundclick is recorded on my BR1180. Check it out if you want to hear various results and also check out this guy named Kevin1600, he has great results too and Gorty's soundclick.
This CD was recorded using a BR1180, it's for kids but check out it's possibilities. http://www.unclemoondog.com/songs.html

I vote BR1600 for being user friendly and price.

Maybe I am a little intrigued by the whole VGA monitor. From the looks of it, they both cost around the same price. I guess with my lack of knowledge, the BR-1600 does seem like the better choice. I wish I could get some more opinions on which is better.

Blackwiz said:
Maybe I am a little intrigued by the whole VGA monitor. From the looks of it, they both cost around the same price. I guess with my lack of knowledge, the BR-1600 does seem like the better choice. I wish I could get some more opinions on which is better.

Now that you have a couple opinions and why's, go and try it out for yourself because you're the one that's going to be using the board dude. Good luck!

One more thing, let's not confused better with more advance here. THe VS series is definitly a little more advanced but you might get better results using the BR...know what I'm saying?

Also, where exactly is the music that you worked on using the 1180?? Is it those Uncle Moon dog tracks? Do you have any other work that you worked on using the Boss BR?

i disagree...roland i think is a more professional machine..not to mention there is more in the form of aftermarket products...plus you can use a computer screen and a mouse ( which i promise you will be easier for copy/paste, track move, track delete, etc and automation, then the boss) with it so you don't have to deal with such a small screen...and besides they are made by the same company so the sound...and the effects wont realy be any different
the learning curve may be a little more steep on the roland but after using it i think its a far better machine...plus i think the roland has more expandability with outboard gear...but if it's pushing a lot of buttons and not making music that you like...then they both can get the job done...but there is now way i would ever give my roland for the boss

Roland

I have a Roland VS-1824 CD. I am so frustrated by the lack of info regarding how to use all of the features, I'm selling it and am getting ready to use protools instead. People who have experience with the Roland tell me the quality isn't as good as protools. I had to call Roland to tell me how to do anything with it and then when I tried to figure it out without their help, I could do affirmations with a music background but never was ablr to record a professional song because the effects wouldn't work right or something else was too complicated to figure out. They need step-by-step demos for these machines. They are not user-friendly especially for the self-taught.

Hey Blackwiz,

I have the BOSS BR1600CDR. It is relatively user friendly. The manual can and will guide you through most scenarios you could come up with.
It has a fairly handy and useful Mastering section to help you tweak your final mixdowns into a more polished final product.
The amount of effects and the depth of adjustment is particulary quite comprehensive.
The guitar modelling and amp simulators are very handy as well. You can also simulate different types of monitors to listen to your mixes through, it is just a broader range as to the types of speakers your mix will transpose down to.

The drums are great sounding in my opinion, straight of the mark without any eq'ing etc. The only trouble I find is that it is time consuming when it comes to actually making up your own drum tracks. The pre-set patterns are very comprehensive and cover a very wide range of styles. The pre-sets are quick and easy to compile into a drum track.

I could go on and on.

I absolutely love the BOSS BR1600CDR.

If you are interested in hearing some tracks that I recorded using nothing but the BOSS BR1600, click on the link in my signature and listen to "One Of These Days" and "Hyperactive Wah Wah". All the guitars were all plugged straight into the unit, including the bass guitar. The drums used are all pre-set patterns. I mixed down and then used the Mastering section to boost and cut to suit what I thought was needed.

Once again, the BOSS BR1600CDR is a great unit that allows you to produce some great sounding recordings.

Gorty :)

The VGA monitor and mouse is attractive when looking at the Roland VS-2000CD, but then Im hearing so many great reviews on the Boss 1600. I wish in my local Guitar Center, that they had a VS-2000 that i could mess around with, but they do have a Boss BR-1600 there.

Now I hear people saying that the Boss 1600 is more fun and easier to learn and that the VS-2000 is still more advance. Is that being that the VS is more complicated or that when knowing how to use everything, its a better machine?

Blackwiz said:
Also, where exactly is the music that you worked on using the 1180?? Is it those Uncle Moon dog tracks? Do you have any other work that you worked on using the Boss BR?

Unclemoodog is some guy in California I do not know, he was featured in the Boss newsletter long time ago because he used the BR.
My stuff on soundlick is all done on the BR, click on Regression music.

Hi Blackwiz! :cool:

The Boss machines are a fine product, with more immediate accessibility than the Roland units...a little 'friendlier'. These machines are absolutely capable of making very good recordings, and are designed for musicians to get their ideas down with minimal fuss. You WILL get good results using a Boss machine.

However, I prefer Roland. They DO have a steeper learning curve, and while they are supposed to be for musicians, they are really more for the musician/engineer/producer/composer. They are deeper machines with lots of power and flexibility.

However, I won't deny the Rolands can confuse and frustrate at first touch, especially with their layered functions. The tricks to using a Roland effectively are 1) Get the Video User Manual! These come on tape and DVD and go over nearly all functions of the machine with a chap showing you how to record, edit, route, use the FX, mix, automix all of that. Video manuals are worth EVERY penny, and I reference mine often. Then, use the actual owner's manual as a supplement. 2) Use forums like this, or vsplanet.com which is populated entirely with Roland VS studio users to address any and all questions.

The big difference between the level Boss is at and Roland VS machines are at is that you can take things farther with the Rolands, should you choose to. With the VGA setup and mouse, editing is much easier, and if you like to use outboard effects and such the routing options are nearly limitless. The aux send functions also allow for incredible flexibility in sending monitor signals to multiple performers, etc.

Both the Boss and Roland get the job done. You have to ask yourself if you really need all the extra power the Roland offers or if you're fine with making great demos and good projects on the Boss.

Another thing to consider is that you could always start off with the Boss to get your feet wet and then upgrade to either a Roland or a PC setup later on...keep the Boss for remote recording if you go PC.

Back to Roland for a moment, once you've got the basics of using a Roland down you don't need to worry about venturing into it's depth of functionality until you're good and ready. You never have to use all it can do, but it's there when you need it, and when you can really utilize the Roland to it's fullest you can record, mix, and yes, even master a professional sounding CD. I haven't used a Boss system as extensively, so can't speak as to whether it can sound as 'pro' as a Roland.

Good luck in your quest! :)

I've owned a Roland VS880EX, VS1880, and just got a VS2400CD that I'm just starting to figure out (and yeah, I used Video Manuals for all three. Cannot recommend them highly enough for the Rolands. The Boss machines probably don't 'require' them.)

Dan The Speakerman said:
Hi Blackwiz! :cool:

The Boss machines are a fine product, with more immediate accessibility than the Roland units...a little 'friendlier'. These machines are absolutely capable of making very good recordings, and are designed for musicians to get their ideas down with minimal fuss. You WILL get good results using a Boss machine.

However, I prefer Roland. They DO have a steeper learning curve, and while they are supposed to be for musicians, they are really more for the musician/engineer/producer/composer. They are deeper machines with lots of power and flexibility.

However, I won't deny the Rolands can confuse and frustrate at first touch, especially with their layered functions. The tricks to using a Roland effectively are 1) Get the Video User Manual! These come on tape and DVD and go over nearly all functions of the machine with a chap showing you how to record, edit, route, use the FX, mix, automix all of that. Video manuals are worth EVERY penny, and I reference mine often. Then, use the actual owner's manual as a supplement. 2) Use forums like this, or vsplanet.com which is populated entirely with Roland VS studio users to address any and all questions.

The big difference between the level Boss is at and Roland VS machines are at is that you can take things farther with the Rolands, should you choose to. With the VGA setup and mouse, editing is much easier, and if you like to use outboard effects and such the routing options are nearly limitless. The aux send functions also allow for incredible flexibility in sending monitor signals to multiple performers, etc.

Both the Boss and Roland get the job done. You have to ask yourself if you really need all the extra power the Roland offers or if you're fine with making great demos and good projects on the Boss.

Another thing to consider is that you could always start off with the Boss to get your feet wet and then upgrade to either a Roland or a PC setup later on...keep the Boss for remote recording if you go PC.

Back to Roland for a moment, once you've got the basics of using a Roland down you don't need to worry about venturing into it's depth of functionality until you're good and ready. You never have to use all it can do, but it's there when you need it, and when you can really utilize the Roland to it's fullest you can record, mix, and yes, even master a professional sounding CD. I haven't used a Boss system as extensively, so can't speak as to whether it can sound as 'pro' as a Roland.

Good luck in your quest! :)

I've owned a Roland VS880EX, VS1880, and just got a VS2400CD that I'm just starting to figure out (and yeah, I used Video Manuals for all three. Cannot recommend them highly enough for the Rolands. The Boss machines probably don't 'require' them.)

Do you have any songs that you recorded strictly using a Roland recorder?

Back