Roland V-Drums sends strange MIDI controller events for different strike positions

Peter Jules

Hi.

I want to play my digital drumkit (Roland V-Drums TD-12) using sampled sounds on my computer. I am using Abbey Road Modern Drummer through Kontakt Player to do this which is running as a VST plug-in in Cubase.
The MIDI information is coming through and I can play the recorded MIDI information back in Cubase.
Now, this drumkit can create different sounds for different strike positions, e.g. of the snare or tom. But instead of sending a different note for a different position it sends the original note along with a particular midi controller event (CC16). This is not very helpful because my VST instrument does not recognize this event and instead it plays no sound at all. I can remove the controller event manually in the DAW but then I cannot use the drumkits capabilities and then it sounds pretty poor.

Does anybody get good sounds with Abbey Road or possibly a different instrument for the TD 12 or TD 20 (including the different strike positions)? If not, can anybody recommend a different VST instrument which is capable of interpreting these events? Could I somehow use Cubase to play the right sample for the right strike position?

Thanks! I'm curious to read your ideas.

Back