Roland Studio Package Pro?

SirPsychoSexy

I've been seriously looking at the Aardvark q10 as a means of computer recording, but I have come across the Roland Studio Package Pro.

It has 8 mic pres, faders, a joystick for 5.1 mixing... It looks pretty amazing for those who want to do some budget computer recording, but prefer a hands-on mixing approach.

Anyone have one of these? Anyone heard anything about these? How do they sound? I'm really liking the prospect of more flexibility and hands-on mixing, and if it's only 100 bucks more, I'd be really tempted. The only issue is the sound, more specifically the pre's.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Chris

Attachments

• roland.jpg
    roland.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 61
me too

I'm also in the process of choosing an interface and have been researching the Aardvark Q10, but I am enticed by the other features of the Roland Studio Pack (especially the hands-on mixing part). Some feedback I've gotten on the Roland is that it is not very straightforward, a bit confusing to use. I think it does include a lot of MIDI based features if that is important to you.

Here's an interesting article: http://www.musicinit.com/roland.html

I'm still considering all possible options.

It's confusing because some people really advocate an interface with built-in pre's for ease of use and compatibility. Other folks suggest that it is much better to keep everything separate, like using a mixer with a soundcard that doesn't have pre's. Guess it's a matter of taste/opinion, and it's hard to know which way to go.

Can one by-pass the pre's on something like the Aardvark Q10 if they wanted to incorporate different gear later on??

Good luck with your decision. I'll be following this post with interest.

~Kester

Tukkis said:
Why not the TASCAM FW-1844?

Tukkis

Looks like a pretty cool toy also, but the Roland Studio Pacakge Pro is only $800 US while the Tascam is $1300 US. That's quite a difference.

I think the Roland looks very interesting also but I wonder how it works with other apps. That Logic software sounds like a nightmare, and I dunno of any other apps that work like Acid pro for audio and loops with all the vst support ect...

Just looked on the Roland UK and now it looks like a newer version of the package that comes with Sonar. Wonder if it's Sonar3 Studio or some stripped down version. At any rate that sounds alot more interesting than Logic RPC Pro. Wonder how long it will be before you can buy that setup in the US...

Looks like a pretty cool toy also, but the Roland Studio Pacakge Pro is only $800 US while the Tascam is $1300 US. That's quite a difference.

The Roland is cheaper but the Tascam has far better Application support. Also the preamps are far better. The Tascam also offers ADAT i/o and Inserts.

Tukkis:)

Back