Roland Studio Pack topic threaded in from Tascam forum

Locomule

35 yrs as guitarist
I see Craig Raymond has had no luck so maybe Chuck will come in and spread some info. He has suggested the pack as an answer to the problem of doing external realtime midi mixing through Sonar.
Chuck, I did some searching and came up with some concerns about the Roland pack, maybe you can clear these up...
1) one new user expressed concern that the fixed 44.1khz mixer effectively limits the 96khz rpc card and any software (sonar - you use sonar right?) to 44.1khz. May be a moot issue to some but you're still paying for quality that the mixer defetes.
2) Do you use many real-time or simultaneous effects in sonar or do you free up cpu processing by using the Roland packs' VM-3100 effects? {how fast a pc you using too btw? Just curious cause I want to be sure and minimize latency when writing fader data.}
I plan to reuse my old Cakewalk dx as much as possible as well as buying a few new dx instruments (esp. a synth or 2). Obviously I plan to invest on 1.5G to 2G+ cpu and over 512M Ram (Gig maybe) to push things smoothly. I am interested in the dual cpu XP capabilities of Sonar but have seen little mention of progress with either the OS or pcs being sold in a stable (esp for audio) dual cpu setup.

THANKS A LOT BTW!
ps.. nobody else out there using this Roland Pack? How are people handling external mixing of Sonar (and similar apps) or is everyone waiting for some new, faster thingee to hit the market?
sorry I am so ignorant. I have been shackled to a p166 for many years now.. and I live in Arkansas so...

Back