Roland RS-50 versus Roland XV2020

ja_cote

Has anyone been able to compare the pre-set sounds in both these units? I have to assume that they are quality in both. I played with an RS-50 tonight, and I enjoyed VERY much. I loved the chord shtuff and the arpeggio shtuff...Very fun, and liberating for a hack keyboardist such as I.

Here's what I'm doing....

Guitar player.
Singer.
Computer Home Recording (Sound card, pre-amp.)
Need to add keyboard into the mix for: chords (organs, pianos) as well as bass lines. Some synth lead from time to time is not a bad thing.

I found an XV2020 for $525.
I find the RS-50 to be in the $795 price range

So, as of right now I am leaning toward the XV2020 + Controller.

AM I getting too caught up in the bells and whistles of the RS-50, or will there be more value in it for me, again, the hack keyboard player?

I know, there are 100 answers to this question.

Now - if I go with the XV2020, any particular controller I should consider? Budget is $250 max...

Thanks,

Jeff

Hmm, I don't know if this helps, but ...

I've compared the XV-88 (which I'm told is the same soundset you're looking for in rack) to an RS-5 (which I have no idea if that's the same soundset as the RS-50), and I will say between those two units, there's a definite bump in quality when going with the true XV sounds. The RS-5/9, with very few exceptions, sounded like my old U-20 (1989)! Even down to the same patch names.

I think the organs on both XV and RS-5 are piss-poor. Pianos on RS-5 really didn't seem useful either.

Since you're looking at the XV2020, which I think doesn't allow you to save edits to patches (I could be wrong on this ... but if you want some basic sounds and are recording, you prolly don't need to edit), you could also look at the Kurzweil ME-1 module (about $400 street), or the keyboard version, KME-61. I've always been partial to Kurzweil sounds. When it came time to upgrade my gear, I chose the Kurzweil PC2 (same sounds more or less as the ME) over the XV-88 in my recent comparison tests. Everyone has different preferences so the more you could try out in person the better.

Hope this helps.

it is

This is helpful, and I thank you...

The XV2020 has impressive editing software. The patches are edit on your PC and saved to the module, if I read the lit correctly.

There are aparently over 3000 pre-sets to play with. Some are ho-hum, but quality sounds, or so one review reads. Some of the synth pre-sets get a little daring, but this is no the synth to end all synths. As a pre-set only machine it would be very capable, again according to a review I read. I am into pre-sets as I am not too much of a editing junkie. From time to time, yes, but for the most part I need great organ, EP, paino and bass sounds. So long as they are rich, warm and true to my ears then i am happy.

Again - I welcome feedback from anyone and in particular users of either the RS50 or XV2020, which I am leabing towards.

Also - feedback on the right controller for the job is also being sought.

Man, I am being a little selfish today in my demands!

Jeff

The 2020 does have really good editing software... but despite having the same patches as its other XV brethren, it doesn't quite sound as good. I ended up getting a 3080 myself...

Still bugs me, though, that the 3080 doesn't sport the USB and editing software of the 5050 and 2020, though. It's actually VERY good.

I really don't remember the RS. Tinkered around with it, but just don't remember...

Back