Roland-Ready Strat and GR33 Help

JohnnyMan

I just received today two purchases that I acquired through ebay (and coincidently they were from two different sellers from two different coasts of the US and they were just delivered from the same Fed Ex truck). They are a: Fender Mexican-made Roland-Ready Strat and a Roland GR33.

Although I just received them and, admittedly, haven’t yet read the manual to the GR33, I was wondering does anyone have any tips or tricks that they wouldn’t mind posting that they have learned that would help maximize this combination.

So far I’m getting some pretty cool sounds out of these two but I have noticed that on some patches some strings appear to be more sensitive than others.

Believe me I will read the manual but I was wondering if there are any other tips or tricks that may be out there.

Thanks,

John

I don't know about the GR-33, but on the GR-50 you must set the input sensitivity (into the synth) of each string's pickup (basically it's a gain/attenuation of the input). This is done through the display (mode button, I believe, for the GR-50).
It will compensate for discrepancies in the output of the hex pickup on the guitar, and will (almost) eliminate the differences you are noticing.

Other than that, just have fun with it !!!

You are going to need to work on your articulation. Guitar synths have a hard time keeping up with anything less than perfect articulation. Getting my guitar synth forced me to work on my articulation, and it will do the same for you.

You will find it tracks much better if you turn of the pitch bend function.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Thanks Teknomike and Light for your input.

I started to read the GR33 manual last night and at the beginning it states that I will have to adjust each string's settings.

It looks like I have a little work ahead of me before I can really enjoy and maximize the usefulness of the guitar and synth.

I really like the guitar synth concept since I am even worse on keyboards as I am on guitar (practice issues :p ).

Oh, yeah, Light is right. Messy playing is a no no with a guitar synth.

Always takes me a while to get back into it if I've been strumming a lot of acoustic. Squeaks and squawks, man. :D

Yeah,

I've noticed that hammer ons (which I do inadvertently with my left hand – the hand I chord with) produce “bad” unwanted notes. It will take some getting used to.

I am blown away with the possibilities the GR-33 creates.

Back