Roland RD-700SX MIDI Help!

Alexbt

I'm working on a theatre production that requires a master MIDI keyboard to control a Yamaha TX7 module.

The music director rented a Roland RD-700SX to use as a controller, and it is my job to program the board.

After reading about the board and it's "great for use as a Master Controller" features, I gave him the go ahead to rent it.

He brought it over to me tonight, and despite having read the manual over and over, I cannot figure out how to save MIDI Setups... if that's even possible.

Any help would be wonderful... otherwise we'll need to rent another board, and find one to rent before next weekend.

Page 89 of the manual shows how to save a Setup file, but I do not know if this also save MIDI parameters. I've never tried it on mine.

If you get in a real pickle with the midi setup savings and are open for a different keyboard I know the kurzweil k2600 is like THE master keyboard but from what i've seen this is a time consuming challenge.
good luck

Hate to bump, but I'm back from a long hiatus. Figured it would be useful to note that this particular board makes a horrible MIDI controller for any application other than a studio setup.

I ended up lucking out with it live with a softsynth version of the TX7 (NI FM8), just because I was able to program the patches on the softsynth in the correct order, and then just advance the program change on the keyboard.

Oddly enough, the K2600 was exactly what I had wanted to use (this was for a professional theatre company's production of Les Miserables, which on Broadway had used K2x00s for probably at least 10 years of the run of the show), but it is very difficult to come by Kurzweils in my area--no dealers in the state! In fact, I would have just sampled the sounds, or beg people to track down the Broadway patches.

Back