Roland pad-8, Alesis D4, and software hell

jthomas

Hi All,
I'll just post the letter I sent to Mark Of The Unicorn. I'm trying to use their Flyer midi connector (hooks to a parallel port, not USB) with ANY damn piece of software to be able to record drum patterns using a trigger pad and a D4. Good luck. Thanks, jt
-----------------------------------
Dear MOTU,
I'm sending you an update question following my first one, sent yesterday. To sum it up, I'm just trying to get a drum sound to fire from a Roland pad-8 trigger, through the computer (via the Flyer), and out to the Alesis D4. I've tried Cakewalk Guitar Studio, Cubase VST (demo), and your Freestyle 2.0 (demo) and not one of them will let me do it. Your Freestyle has the simplest midi setup, the Studio Setup Test button (to test the midi device) fires the Alesis ok, i.e. I hear a drum sound through my speakers, but your Midi Thru option in that window shows "No Connection" as the only option. That is what is needed, I think. Below is the configuration that I changed to for the above results:

Midi connections:
a) pad-8 out ---------------> Flyer A in
b) Flyer A out ---------> Alesis in

When I hit the pad, the Flyer A in blinks, but it will not pass the signal all the way through to the Alesis. The pad and the Alesis are both set on channel 10. As far as I can tell, it will not record this signal either. Don't you guys have anyone who's ever used your gear with this kind of a drum/trigger setup? I can't believe this won't work. Someone at Sam Ash warned me that I ought to use a USB, but I don't think that's it. On the other hand, if I can't get any software to work with this setup I'm going back to the Atari. At least that works every time.

Back