Roland MC 303 Groovbox questions

wakeupbomb

Ok, so I just got an MC 303 Groovebox about a year ago. I've been using it for the sweet sounds, and haven't really gotten into programming it. I tried to do some stuff in the last month or so, but I just can't get anything to sound right, or program the way I want it to. All the preset "songs" sound really cool, and I've tried and tried but I just can't get anything that sounds like that. Does anyone know of a website with a tutorial, or a video or something? The manual isn't really helping cause I'm more of a visual guy, I need to see it to learn it. Thanks.

I used to have one. It's best to start with a blank slate and build from there rather than using the preset patterns. There should be blank patterns in the "U" section. You might have to erase them though, I can't remember, it was a loong time ago.

If I were to be really honest with you the best thing you could do is sell the thing and get a copy of Reason. It shits all over the groovebox and most other music programs. You don't need a powerful computer and the way the program wrks is very visual. All the instruments have realistic knobs and buttons and are easy to get to grips with.

I wrote this from scratch in Reason:

I've got one of these,

I don't use it that much ever since I got Reason aka: God's gift to non-drummers ! :P

anyway, It's really useful for drum n' bass. It's basically a Roland 303 bassline and a 909 (I believe) in one unit....sorta like the software program "Rebirth" .

what kind of sound are you going for??

I'll tell you this: we all learn differently and I do it 'hands on'. I cannot understand manuals or tutorials for the life of me, the best way for me learn it was just to screw around with the buttons. It may seem confusing at first but take a chance to play around with the RM1X for a bit,,, that'll make the MC303 seem like a toddler's toy! lol.

overall the 303 tends to be in a "medium" learning curve. Right in between the Electribes (super easy) and the RM1X (super hard...for me at least)

I have an industrial/drill project that I contribute to every once in a while....even though he has reason, the songwriter ALWAYS uses his MC303. I guess he got so used to the platform that it became 2nd nature. Just some words of encouragement.

But I may be able to give you a few tips/ideas if you clarify what you're trying to do.

oh,,,,,forget the presets. You don't really want to sound like that do you? ....just messing with ya.

:P

Those RN1Xs are pretty shit hot for drum'n'bass. I used to be in a live d'n'b band playing live drums along to one of those things. We supported Roni Size and Goldie among others. They are definately a step towards a professional sound.

The MC 303 has it's place though. I reckon that it's a good way of getting ideas down if you know how to use it. The thing is, if you have Reason, a laptop and some headphones, you could write a whole album in any location you want. Liam from the Prodigy has written their whole new album with Reason 2.5. It really is a beast.

I have reason, and I like using it (although I just got it so I haven't played with it much.) but I want another weapon I guess, in my arsenal. What I'm really trying to do is make some techno, and some hip hop stuff, maybe a littl garage thrown in for good measure. I don't use the presets patterns, I use the sounds, I can hook it up to my keyboard via MIDI and play with the different piano, string, and horn sounds. They only reason I mentioned the presets is because they sound so layered with instruments, and so.....not like what my compositions sound like when I try to do something. I just wanted to know if maybe there was a tutorial video or a book or something that I could see that would steer me in the right direction. Thanks for your suggestions though, I'm totally into this reason thing, but I gotta get into it more so I can utilize it to it's full potential.

Is that true that the Prodigy used it for their entire new album? That's awesome.

Back