Roland JX-3P

JamesFarquhar

Hey everyone I am really new to keyboard world and to the midi world also. So please bare with me. A friend of mine has an Old Roalnd JX-3P synth keyboard that was given to him. He is willing to to sell it to me for next to nothing. My question is would it be a good keyboard to start with ?
If anyone knows of any reasons why I should or shouldnt get this keyboard please feel free to let me know.

The sounds are classic and great. The MIDI is horrible (it was Roland's very first MIDI-fied keyboard). Programming it is easy if you understand basic subtractive synthesis.

I love the JX3P and wish I still had mine. Do a Google search and you'll find the manual online somewhere (can't remember where off hand).

If you like old skool analog synth sounds, have the patience to read the manual, and treat your gear well then get it. If not, get it and then sell it on Ebay (or sell it to me for your cost). Just be advised that the MIDI is very very basic and does in no way represent the full scope of what MIDI can do.

I remember trying out the JX-3P when it first came out, I really liked the bell tones it had from the factory presets. It was choosing between that and a KORG Poly-800 and dammit I chose the KORG... Hey let us know if you ever put that thing up for sale or bid. :)

I don't know what "next to nothing" means - but I would buy a JX3P for $100-$125 in the blink of an eye (more than that would depend on the shape, etc). It has classic sounds and is a good board to learn some sound design on.

Well next to nothing is $225 Canadian which is about $170 US. I have looked it over and it is in excellent shape still has the foot pedal and the stand for it.

Toorglick right now I have no understanding basic synth and very little knowledge of midi at this point.

I did however find the manual and have downloaded it. I Guess what I really want to know is would this be a good place to start learning about midi and synth or would I be better off buying some cheap casio keyboard from radioshack....haha. I realize as I learn I wll need to get a better keyboard but right now I am not in a position to spend large dollars on it.

Thanks again for the opinions

The JX3P is a pro level board (although an old one) whereas a "cheap" Casio would be a consumer level - for that reason alone I would choose the Roland over a Casio. In addition, the Roland is a classic (maybe not as classic as a Juno 60) but it should hold some value (certainly better than a Casio).

The MIDI application of the Roland will be limited (given it's age) and very possibly a Casio may have broader MIDI application - but the symth programming on the Roland would likely give you a better education than a Casio).

Keep in mind there are many different types of synthesis (Roland uses something different than Yamaha, than Casio, etc) so learning to program the Roland does not make you a whiz on all the other method. However, the method used on the JX3P is pretty easy to understand. The Roland does give you actual knobs to tweak - vs. scrolling thru windows) which is a more enjoyable way to program (at least in my view).

$170 Ameican may be getting close to the high end value for a JX3P (certainly no more than $200). However, there may be some vintage guys that may debate that. The stand and the pedal may add about $30 of value.

I will add that as you progress as a keyboard player you can always find a use for a JX3P - you likely would outgrow a cheap Casio very quickly,

Well guys I apreciated the input very much, so heres is whats going to happen. I am going to buy the JX3P and hopefully learn alot from it. I have a good friend that I work with that has sad if I choose to sell it afterwards that he will but it from me for what I am paying for it. So really it is a win/win situation for me. But he says just like MikeH that once I learn I will most likely want to keep it around. Anyways I will keep you updated on how I progress.
Thanks Again

JX3-P's going price is around 175 these days (w/out programmer). Good keyboard for classic analog sounds. Relatively reliable. Don't expect anything realistic out of it though. Just beeps and gurgles like only analog can do.

A poor-man's classic synth. You get far more than you pay for.

Back