Roland Juno D and G experts needed....

jwgeetar

hey all, i just bought a new Roland Juno D and it's still in the box. (restocking fee if opened). i think it's what i wanted. :confused: (i had a juno analog 20 years ago that was cool):cool:

then i looked at the Juno G, and the G has a USB port and the possibility of importing the steel drum sample i want--plus others.

i don't need the recorder i have a 24 track. my main concern is the Synth sounds,bass, and a few others. and of course---that elusive steel drum.

Being twice the price of the Juno D, i really can't afford it. but i don't wanna be stuck with limited parameters either.....
is there any way in hell i can create a steel drum sound on the D? thats the hang up so far.....:eek:

I don't know much about the Juno D, but...

The G has a very good steel drum sound. Roland has always had good steel drum sounds. I have an XP 10 with excellent steel drums too. I bought the Juno G (slightly) used on CL for $550.00 about this time last year(!) It's basically a mini-Fantom X and is one of the best investments I ever made.

check that, i took the D back and got a Juno G. glad i did....it's pretty incredible. just will take a while to get it all down.

but---i can record with it and need that steel drum sound sooner than later. where did you guys say where it was? i was looking around the percussion area but i found nuthing--yet. thx jw

The G has a very good steel drum sound. Roland has always had good steel drum sounds. I have an XP 10 with excellent steel drums too. I bought the Juno G (slightly) used on CL for $550.00 about this time last year(!) It's basically a mini-Fantom X and is one of the best investments I ever made.

hey sail, where'd you say that steel drum was on the G? i'm a lookin for it....thx:cool:

The patch is PR-A 076, or...

If you look under instrument groups, it's listed under the "Mallet" category. Have fun!!

Ps!!!

Congrats on getting the 'G', but don't let it intimidate you. There is an instructional DVD available that is extremely helpful. You can find it on Amazon under Roland Juno G. Definitely worth the 35 bucks!

Congrats on getting the 'G', but don't let it intimidate you. There is an instructional DVD available that is extremely helpful. You can find it on Amazon under Roland Juno G. Definitely worth the 35 bucks!

prolly will do the DVD video. found it under steel drums. had to hit the Part key and piano then scroll through it.

i remember it took a while to figure out my old Juno years ago. so i see a lot of the same characteristics. ---this is a heckuva synth;).

i need to be careful cause i'm in the middle of recording an accoustic album---(gettin a little carried away :)

Well, I'm sitting at my computer now, but...

I think, once you power up, you come to the "My Piano" or "Grand Piano" or whatever. If you simply press the enter key, you will get a list of instrument banks to scroll through (hard lead, soft lead, etc., pulsating...one of my fav's). You can then use soft keys on the lower left to scroll through the banks, and, the scroll wheel for the instruments. I've had this keyboard for about a year now and I still haven't come to grips with the on board sequencer. The DVD goes into this in great detail...I just haven't had the time to play with it. The arpegiator is awesome though!!
I've just picked up a Korg Triton Studio and that seems to be just as complicated (but very cool)...I'm using DVD/manual for that also...

i'm not a good drum machine programmer, but this thing has got some great drum sounds. i need to record some songs that need the full band. maybe i'll figure it out on this. does the DVD go into detail about drums?

Not so much about drums, but...

presets (and that means the drums presets)...Use the rythmn key on the front of the board, then scroll through the different drum sets using the wheel...The arpegiator can control the tempo, the tempo can be controlled using the wheel...confused yet...it will get easier the more you use it...I've had my Juno G for a year and I'm still discovering cool stuff...

yea--being a geetar player mainly, this thing rocks. i'm not a good keyboarder either but i can do what i need. tonight i recorded bass and steel drums onmy song jus for practice and to get the feel. next week i'll perfect those parts.

i don't remember the model number, but in GC where i bought this, they had the top-o-the-line Roland models with a ginormous screen. for $3500 it'll prolly make ya breakfast...i didn't even play it, cause i might try to buy it......:o

yo sailjunkie, i got the DVD and it's packed with stuff. and i see how to manipulate the patches---as in editing and changing the tone.

what i don't get is making the the bass part stretch. i use the Allaroundbass patch and it's good for what i need. problem is the note cuts off too quickly when it needs to linger at the end of a chorus....as in fade out a bit. right now, i just hold it down a little longer into my chorus. which i can fix in the mix:rolleyes:. in the Sound Modify section, it would be cool to make it linger with a longer release as in decay. a manual on the fly adjustment. i tried this and some other SM pots but can't make it happen. any tricks to this?

i used to could do this with my old Juno 106. thx:cool:

As far as ADSR goes...

I know the G is an analog modeling synth. Not a true analog synth where you can play with the decay, sustain and release rate (as on my Moog or Seq. Circuits boards), BUT, you should still be able to manipulate the release rate of your bass with the real time controls on the front of the keyboard (far right). I could, of course, be full of shit, but maybe not...

I know the G is an analog modeling synth. Not a true analog synth where you can play with the decay, sustain and release rate (as on my Moog or Seq. Circuits boards), BUT, you should still be able to manipulate the release rate of your bass with the real time controls on the front of the keyboard (far right). I could, of course, be full of shit, but maybe not...
i'll mess with it some more. but when i did in real time my bass note changed and i had to exit then bring it back up to make it normal again. is there any one of the filters you use for that?:confused: thx again...

hey sailjunkie, have you ever messed with the rhythm patterns on the G? i am inching along but always looking for shortcuts. have you created any new drum patterns on the G?;)

Back