Roland JC-120, should I get it?

anyone else have anything to say?
Yeah, it seems like the strangest choice for metal I've heard of yet. :eek:

It's the jazz combo amp. The "JC" stands for "jazz chorus."

Also, being Roland, it's not cheap.

It's a fine amp, and I wish I had one, but it's about the last amp on the planet I'd buy for metal and use with distortion stomps.

Additionally, 120W is not that "massive" for solid-state, especially when it's actually 60W stereo.

There has to be a less expensive and more appropriate amp for what you're doing.

bongolation said:
Yeah, it seems like the strangest choice for metal I've heard of yet. :eek:

It's the jazz combo amp. The "JC" stands for "jazz chorus."

Also, being Roland, it's not cheap.

It's a fine amp, and I wish I had one, but it's about the last amp on the planet I'd buy for metal and use with distortion stomps.

Additionally, 120W is not that "massive" for solid-state, especially when it's actually 60W stereo.

There has to be a less expensive and more appropriate amp for what you're doing.

well I've been recommended to use multi-fx pedals with the Roland to play metal, but I haven't heard any sound samples or opinions on whether people have really tested a boss gt-6/gt-8 or any other other pedal with the amp. I did try a JC-90 at GC with a boss pedal, and it sounded decent even though it wasn't in the effects loop.

If there's another amp I'm interested in, it's a Fender FM212, which is a 100 watt combo with an effects loop, but people have said it's kinda cheap, mainly because of the amp distortion (which I don't care about). I only care if the effects sound/work right on these amps, through the effects loop, and of course, reliability of the amps.

But is there some compelling reason why you need a specialized stereo chorus amp?

If you just want a clean solid-state amp to amplify a digital front end, there are very many that would do the job just as well for less.

bongolation said:
But is there some compelling reason why you need a specialized stereo chorus amp?

If you just want a clean solid-state amp to amplify a digital front end, there are very many that would do the job just as well for less.

well I don't need the chorus, but I'd like the stereo. I'd like a 2x12, around 100 watt. I already mentioned what I really want in my first post, and I'd like an amp that can give me most of that.

bball_1523 said:
well I don't need the chorus, but I'd like the stereo. I'd like a 2x12, around 100 watt. I already mentioned what I really want in my first post, and I'd like an amp that can give me most of that.

Just buy one and then sell it if it doesn't work. You obviously want it.

I don't obviously want it....I did really want it for the past couple weeks, but I've been re-thinking about it. It seems like it's too pricey and I really want to save a few hundred dollars and buy something more cheaper but has the same things I need.

bball_1523 said:
I don't obviously want it....I did really want it for the past couple weeks, but I've been re-thinking about it. It seems like it's too pricey and I really want to save a few hundred dollars and buy something more cheaper but has the same things I need.

What do you need? An efx loop? That would be one of the last things I would consider in my purchase of an amp. That Boss pedal thing you are talking about can go in your front end, it isn't like a line level piece of rack equipment...it probably has a Line Level in, but really, in the end it just a floor unit that doesn't really warrant audiophile considerations IMO...and at your price range, audiophile should not be in your vocabulary anyways. lol ;)

Get nice clean Fender with 100 watts of monoblock power so you have your clean that you like and use that. Then if you really need stereo, get another one at some point so you can place them far apart for stereo seperation. The Roland has a nice chorus IMO, but it isn't really the same thing as a stereo chorus that has 10-20 feet of seperation...because when you get the amps on opposite sides of the ears, thats when it becomes "stereo".

Outlaws said:
What do you need? An efx loop? That would be one of the last things I would consider in my purchase of an amp. That Boss pedal thing you are talking about can go in your front end, it isn't like a line level piece of rack equipment...it probably has a Line Level in, but really, in the end it just a floor unit that doesn't really warrant audiophile considerations IMO...and at your price range, audiophile should not be in your vocabulary anyways. lol ;)

Get nice clean Fender with 100 watts of monoblock power so you have your clean that you like and use that. Then if you really need stereo, get another one at some point so you can place them far apart for stereo seperation. The Roland has a nice chorus IMO, but it isn't really the same thing as a stereo chorus that has 10-20 feet of seperation...because when you get the amps on opposite sides of the ears, thats when it becomes "stereo".

I was thinking about the Fender FM212, but some have told me to not get that amp, and get something a bit more better or like a Roland. I've also considered a Carvin SX 2x12, but I've heard problems with external effects making extra noise/crackles.

The reason I'm so concerned about an FX loop is because I have been talking with some boss gt owners and they told me to get the best sound out of the machine, it's wise to use a procedure called "4-cable method" and in order to use that method, you need an effects loop. They also mentioned how the Roland JC-120 would be a great amp to use the gt-6 or gt-8.

Now I tried a boss gt-6 through the Roland JC-90, straight through the input and I liked the sound, but I don't know how it would sound through an effects loop.

I really want to make a wise purchase and get the best out of the multi-effects units for the price I want to pay. I don't have a lot of money and won't get money to buy amps/gear for a while after I purchase an amp and effects now. So I want to make the wisest purchase I can for the things I want.

I have my own ear, and I've heard some good cleans from solid states. I honestly don't care what you guys think about tubes being better than SS, for now I just want a personal amp that I could use with what I desire.

I actually have a JC 120 that I bought for like $250 off a friend and I am into metal (and jazz). I would recommend it if you can afford it. I got an unusually good deal on it because my friend was trying to get rid of it and it's a really old one (like 15-20 years). However there are plenty of other good amps with comparable power for a lot less. Fender is always a good choice.

I've just skipped to answer your initial question with out reading everyone elses since I'm in a hurry........

I've owned 2 of them and while they are great amps in their own right, I don't know that I'd recomend it for any metal or hard rock.

The Clean is insanly clean, and the stereo chorus is to dye for!! :)

Now the down sides....

1. These amps have no bottom end in my experience.....even with trying to boost it with an EQ pedal.....just can't handle the base. = So no Chunka, chunka rythems or anything like that.

2. The clean is a very, very bright midrangey type of sound......boarderlining on the "Ice Pick" in the ear sound..........the flip side of that is that you won't have any problems cutting throught the mix with it. :)

Yes, the amp can be turned down to play at "bedroom" levels.

Hope this helps a bit...
Rick

Up until the last two posts, this thread hadn't been posted on for almost a month. I'm sure the guy has probably made his decision by now.

sile2001 said:
Up until the last two posts, this thread hadn't been posted on for almost a month. I'm sure the guy has probably made his decision by now.

actually I haven't made a decision yet as to what amp I want to buy. I might buy an amp later in the summer because I've decided to invest in a new computer first.

But the main thing I'm looking for in an amp is using the boss gt-8 to the fullest and of course I want a reliable loud amp with a nice clean sound to do that.

I've got a GT-6 and that's the amp (JC-120) that everybody recommended for me. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will.

Do it.

the cool thing about the Roland JC (I owned a JC90) is that the effects loop is stereo and separates between the speakers. That's what makes the chorus so cool sounding...and if you have a stereo effects unit (reverb, etc), using that in the effects loop sounds really cool.

I don't know if your boss pedal is stereo or not. Probably not? So this is not a great selling point for you.

And the JC's are clean...but I would describe them more as uncolored. They take on the personality of the guitar and the pedals and stuff that you have going. So if you have a great distortion pedal and you don't want the amp getting in the way...this could be a good amp.

One previous comment was a good one - the JC will not do the metal "whomp" sound. I used to have a Carvin 2 by 12, and that thing had low end like you wouldn't believe. JC is very "flat" and uncolored.

The amps that you are thinking about are all probably really good, just different personalities. You should try to find a way to hear them so that you can choose what personality you like.

yeah the JC definitely has a lack of low end which is unfortunate for metal.

BY THE WAY.....

How do you set up the fx loop? I've tried everything. :confused:

Imho

My opinion differs from those who think the JC-120s lack bottom. I've had no trouble at all getting a full, rich, low-end sound.

As a matter of fact, I've had to back off on the bass at gigs because it was too bottom heavy - and fighting other instruments for sonic space. (we easily forget there's a huge difference between playing alone and playing with a band; playing live or noodling in your bedroom...).

If the GT-8 has a metal-sounding patch you like, that's exactly what the JC-120 will give you. Very full-sounding when run through the stereo effects loop.

bball, while you're saving up - you really should get to a music store and mess around with a few different amps WITH your effects pedal to see what's right for you.

Cheers, Rez

Back