Roland DS-90 monitors?

Mitch Glasgow

I'm shopping for monitors. I am also debating whether I want to continue clinging deparately to the Roland learnig curve (VS1680), or dump the whole lot and go with Digi 001 or similar. In any case, I am curious about the Roland DS-90 "modeling" digital monitors. Has anyone used a pair yet, and if so what did you think?

Hello,

I'm very impressive by this board, and this is my first post. I have a pair of the Roland DS-90s. I've not used them extensively, but from what little I have done, I've found them to be pretty good. It's essential to get the listening distance and space set correctly (as it is with any near-field monitor set-up). Imagine an equilateral triangle with sides of one metre or so, and put one monitor on each of two of the points at about eye-level, turned slightly towards you at the third point. This way you will not be hearing the acoustics of the room as much. The COSM software on the VS series is quite impressive. My biggest gripes with the VS-1680 are (1) the proprietary format used to store the data (thanks Roland!) - won't it be great when the industry adopts a standard (and eveyone uses it!), and (2) the VS-1680 is not really intuitive to use (although it's a damned sight easier than the VS-880!) and the user-manual leaves a lot to be desired!

Hope this helps!

Hey, good luck with your search!

- Wil

Back