Roland A49 midi Controller...HELP !

shadowhankron

Hi Fellow Musicians

I received a new Roland A49 Midi Controller yesterday.... I notice Buttons...Function / SUPERNATURAL/ etc, I cannot understand how to programme these , Patch Change , best from SuperNatural, I cannot understand the Manual that was supplied.
I am using this Controller with my Roland Integra 7 Module.... Please a simple Step by Step help would be great.

Thanks

Ron

Last edited:
Going to just simple. First, you have to set the channel, example, the channel between the module and then tell the controller what channel to send to. You can probably set each sound on the module to a channel, then determine (if you can split the keyboard) what channel each section of the keyboard plays. Once you have the channel set, then you have to look up in the module layout what number the patch is. I have an old PC100, I would select the channel, then hit the button labeled enter. That would set the channel (1-16). If I want to change sound patch, I would look up the patch number, select the numbers (say 126), when done, hit the button/key that is labeled enter. That should tell the module what channel and what sound on the channel.

That should get you started. Also, make sure the MIDI cable out from your controller is going to the MIDI connection in to your module.

That should get you started.

HI DM60...

I say thanks to you for your reply, I do understand that Midi needs Midi Ch Number to Transmit and Receive it is the Buttons on the Roland A49 Midi Controller I cannot figure out, as the manual is hard for this aged old fart to understand, perhaps any owner of the Roland A49 could explain the jargon
in this manual..Thanks again
Ron

Disclaimer: I don't have either the A-49 or INTEGRA-7, and am just going by my interpretation of what's in the manuals.

By the way, if all you have is the printed manual then I would recommend that you go to Roland's website and download the PDF version, because it's much easier to find information in a manual when you can search the PDF version for a specific word or phrase.

The SuperNATURAL button is just a toggle that's either on/lit or off/unlit. It's used in conjunction with the FUNCTION button to select one of four different operating modes:

• FUNCTION off/unlit, SuperNATURAL off/unlit = PLAY mode -- for playing the keyboard with a generic sound module.
  • FUNCTION on/lit, SuperNATURAL off/unlit = FUNCTION mode -- for setting the values of the controller's various functions.
  • FUNCTION off/unlit, SuperNATURAL on/lit = SuperNATURAL mode -- for playing the keyboard with a SuperNATURAL sound module (e.g., the INTEGRA-7).
  • FUNCTION on/lit, SuperNATURAL on/lit = MIDI Visual Control mode -- for playing the keyboard and controlling a video device that supports MVC (MIDI Visual Control).
Unless you have a video device that supports MVC, you should just ignore and avoid the MIDI Visual Control mode, since it would be pointless to use it.

However, you do have a SuperNATURAL sound module, so I assume that the SuperNATURAL mode is the one you'll be most interested in. Since the A-49 can't generate its own sounds, the SuperNATURAL mode simply "preconfigures" the A-49 to control specific functions in a SuperNATURAL sound module, as shown in the chart on page 24:

• PITCH button = Same as in PLAY mode -- i.e., when on, the D-BEAM controls the pitch for notes you play.
  • VOL button = Same as in PLAY mode -- i.e., when on, the D-BEAM controls the volume for notes you play.
  • ASSIGN button = CC#18 (which varies with the SuperNATURAL voice) -- e.g., Mute, Growl Sens, Slide Roll, etc.
  • FUNCTION button = (Not used in SuperNATURAL mode.)
  • S1 button = CC#80 (which varies with the SuperNATURAL voice) -- e.g., Dead Stroke, Mute, Rasgueado, Finger Picking, Staccato, Slap, etc.
  • S2 button = CC#81 (which varies with the SuperNATURAL voice) -- e.g., Harmonics, Octave Tone, Pizzicato, etc.
  • C1 knob = CC#16 (which varies with the SuperNATURAL voice) -- e.g., Noise Level, Mallet Hardness, Resonance Level, etc.
  • C2 knob = CC#17 or CC#19 (which vary with the SuperNATURAL voice) -- e.g., Roll Speed/Bend Mode, Strum Speed/Strum Mode, Glissando Mode, etc.
  • Pitch Bend/Modulation lever = Same as in PLAY mode -- i.e., controls the pitch and vibrato for notes you play.
  • TRANSPOSE button = Same as in PLAY mode -- i.e., controls the amount of transposition for notes you play.
  • +/- buttons = Same as in PLAY mode -- i.e., controls the octave number for notes you play.
  • HOLD jack = Same as in PLAY mode -- i.e., lets you connect a hold/sustain pedal so you can hold/sustain notes you play.
  • EXPRESSION jack = Same as in PLAY mode -- i.e., lets you connect an expression pedal so you can control various parameters and functions.
As you can see, SuperNATURAL mode affects only six of the A-49's controls, and the five which are actually used will have different functions depending on which voice has been selected in the SuperNATURAL sound module-- see pages 100 - 108 in the INTEGRA-7's Parameter Guide.

As long as you don't have the SuperNATURAL button on, the FUNCTION button is used to switch between PLAY mode and FUNCTION mode. FUNCTION mode lets you set the values for various functions.

WOW !! SeaGtrGruff

Many Thanks for your very kind and long explanation on the A49 with Integra 7.. you explained a bit more than I knew before posting the Thread, now I need put into use what you posted..... I find at times Manuals hard to understand, again THANK YOU

Ron

You're welcome. :) I think you'll want to check out the FUNCTION mode, too-- which I didn't go into yet-- because it looks like FUNCTION mode is what you use to select which voices you want the A-49 to play on the INTEGRA-7. I think the main trick is knowing that the FUNCTION and SuperNATURAL buttons work together to select between those four operating modes.

Thanks SeaGtGruff again...

I get some uses from the SUPERNatural button but S1 and S2 dont make any different sound or tone

regards
Ronnie

Back