Rode wireless go sounds bad

varxtis

Recently picked up Rode Wireless Go, but it's sound VERY flat, distant, and muffled. Purchased Rode lavaliere mic with it. I already have AT2020USB+ connected via USB, and it sounds great. Initially, I couldn't get the Rode Wireless Mic to work at all, as my notebook/laptop only has one Headphone/Mic Auxiliary port, so I bought a TRRS splitter. First, StarTech Headset Adapter (Microphone and Headphone Splitter), then tried the Kingtop splitter. No improvement. Finally I thought, since the AT20202USB+ works so well, maybe it's the auxiliary port, and I need to connect via USB. So I tried a CableCreation Type-C external splitter. Still no improvement. Please see video for audio comparison. I am aware of the common tip to set the Db to low, or medium at highest. Also, this already went a bit beyond my budget. so please don't suggest more expensive options. This set with mic costs more than twice the amount of the AT2020USB+. My expectations may be off for a comparison, especially when the Rode is Wireless, but I would like a device that's more than twice the cost of something that sounds as good as the AT2020USB+. Not to mention, every single video Ive seen using the Rode Wireless Go sound so dang amazing... it's got to be something Im doing wrong.
OH AAAAND something I neglected to mention in the video - Programs Ive tried:
Audacity, Adobe Audition, OBS Studio, and NCH MixPad

Any help would be deeply deeply appreciated.
Youtube Thumbnail looks like an add. I promise it isnt. Just listing source of where I got my stuff.

I suspect it's because the Go, although a mono mic, has a cable that's designed to connect to a stereo minijack input. The ring on the cable may be shorting out. A simple female stereo minijack to male mono minijack adapter along with the TRRS splitter you already have might solve your problem. But to be honest, that's kind of a guess.

I suspect it's because the Go, although a mono mic, has a cable that's designed to connect to a stereo minijack input. The ring on the cable may be shorting out. A simple female stereo minijack to male mono minijack adapter along with the TRRS splitter you already have might solve your problem. But to be honest, that's kind of a guess.

First off,, thank you so much for replying. So right After posting the OP, I figured I'd try my Desktop... don't ask why I hadn't thought of that first, stupid mental black out. But the results are pretty much the same. Do you think the one I got could just be bad? I have until Juky 4th to return it. Any clue if theres any point to reaching out to Rode. I guess posting here was In hopes there might be some magical set of drivers.

I have a wireless go, and it works beautifully. I connect the receiver to the input of my camera, via the supplied TRS cable. I haven't tried it directly into my laptop, but I have gone via DI into an interface, again very succesfully.

I expect that your problems are not likely to be with the wireless go, but more with how you you are trying to connect it to laptop.

First off,, thank you so much for replying. So right After posting the OP, I figured I'd try my Desktop... don't ask why I hadn't thought of that first, stupid mental black out. But the results are pretty much the same. Do you think the one I got could just be bad? I have until Juky 4th to return it. Any clue if theres any point to reaching out to Rode. I guess posting here was In hopes there might be some magical set of drivers.
It's possible you have a defective unit, but I would want to try it in a device with a stereo mic input before concluding that.

It appears from the video you already have a Rode adapter cable (red coiled). Is it the RODE SC7 which is TRS to TRRS as in this link below or another RODE makes which is TRS to TRS? With the SC7 cable you shouldn't need the splitter adapter cable.

Would this be the RODE lav mic you have?
Wondering if the RODE lav could be plugged into the computer directly using the mic-headphone splitter adapter. This RODE lav does need 'plug-in power' which I would think the computer would provide. This might eliminate the RODE Wireless Go as the problem.

Any remote chance the computer is not switching to the jack for the mic input and perhaps is using builtin mics of the computer if it has them?

Has the computer got any software associated with its audio that can muck up the sound? Screenshot of my PC's audio software that can make things sound bad...

Attachments

• maxxaudio.jpg
    maxxaudio.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I fear your question may cost me some money :oops:. I wasn't aware of this RODE wireless device, but now that I am, I think I need to get a set. The video below is pushing the purchase along as well....

@arcaxis Yeah, The set has sounded amazing in all the videos Ive seen and thus got me roped into a somewhat expensive investment lol. But hey, I tried your suggestion and I feel like you nailed it! For me the true approach to troubleshooting is the process of elimination. I don't know why I haden't thought of it, but I plugged the lavier "directly" into the computer and I get the exact same results. It actually sounds even worse. So I think you, @bouldersoundguy, and @gecko zzed are all right, that it's some issue with how it connects to the mic/headset port. I was concerned that it might be the TRS (TRRS?) splitter, but it sounds the same regardless of which one I use. The computer of course doesn't even recognize the mic without the TRS (TRRS?) splitter. The only issue now, is that Im not using a standard camera for my stuff, and the phone I have doesn't have an auxilary port.

EDIT: I feel like an @$$hat - So I was really bumbed that my phone doesn't have an auxilar port. Then *light bulb* it occured to me that I have that USB-C splitter. I used itwith my phone, and it sounds great. I just have to speak loudly and will probably try cranking the db to high, though it's not recomended. BUT, I wondered why it works with the phone, but won't work with the PC. Idk why... but its working on the PC now -_- Im both frustrated and happy. Im happustrated.
Thank you all for your help. Sometimes I just forget the basics, process of elimination. It's deeply appreciated.

I fear your question may cost me some money :oops:. I wasn't aware of this RODE wireless device, but now that I am, I think I need to get a set. The video below is pushing the purchase along as well....

I hadnt come across this particular vid. This is awesome!

"But Wait! Theres more!"
I don't do enough recording to warrant getting this (according to my wife :D) , but it's pretty cool.

Last edited:
Back