Rode vs Audio Technica vs Blue Microphones

Navneeth

Hey guys, I have a decent home studio set up. Macbook Pro, KRK Rokit 5's, Apogee Duet running Logic, Pro Tools and Reason. My room is pretty small. I have 3 good condenser mics in mind which I'd like to choose from and I could use some help from you guys.

AT2035 vs Blue Spark vs Rode NT1-A

I'm pretty sure Rode is ahead, but some people told me the highs on it were a little strong. Anyone who can help me out here, I'm grateful! I'm gonna have to make the purchase soon, so help! Thank You!

It would for me be a toss of a coin between the Blue and the Rode.

I would say that it all depends on the source that you are going to capture and I'm assuming that it is vocals.
But then it depends on who's vocal and how many different people and gender you are going to work with ..... If it were me I would go for the Rode but you may soon find that you'll need 4 or 5 different microphones to do the same job pending on the source for this is an expensive addiction.

Indeed, it's an expensive addiction! I decided to go for the Blue microphone, now that I've realized, as you said, i'm going to be purchasing more than a few microphones along the way. My first mic doesn't have to be the perfect one :) Thanks a lot for your help.

I bought a Rode NT1A for under $300 and am about to have it moded by Oktavamod to make it sound close to a Neumann U87. The mod costs about $300...So for $600, I should receive a mic that sounds similar (not identical) to a mic that costs over $3000. Worth taking a look anyway.

. My room is pretty small. I have 3 good condenser mics in mind which I'd like to choose from and I could use some help from you guys.

What are you doing to tune the room, this will have an enourmous impact in a small space with condenser mics

I bought a RODE NT1A for under $300 and am about to have it moded by Oktavamod to make it sound closer to a Neumann U87.
This is an unlikely scenario IME. NT1A is not a bad mic and it certainly is good on the self noise and Oktavamods are cool but even modded a U87 or close clone it aint. If it were there would be no reason for studios to buy U87s at $3500 a pop, and the vintage ones would not be so hotly sought after for even more $$$$
Michael Joly is a very smart guy and engineer but he's not a magician

Living in western Colorado is "closer" to being Pacific coast views than Eastern Colorado, but it's still a heck of a long way to the beach

Last edited:
I think you'll be happy with the Spark. I bought one recently and have been impressed with it. Still haven't had time to really put it through it's paces though. I should get a chance to try it out on some vocals this weekend.

Bristol, my name is RokZtar therefore I am right! ;)

Have you listened to the samples on the Oktavamod website? Unfortunately I won't have mine back until mid July but Moresound also recommended them so if he is wrong he owes me a new mic for my cowbell.

Bristol, my name is RokZtar therefore I am right! ;)

Have you listened to the samples on the Oktavamod website? Unfortunately I won't have mine back until mid July but Moresound also recommended them so if he is wrong he owes me a new mic for my cowbell.

Yes I have researched Oktavamods for myself and was close to getting a Mic mod from them until at the last minute taking a different tack and selling the Mic and buying something else instead.

You will get a nice Mic back and it may even be somewhat closer to a U87. I just don't buy into the "close to" "almost as good as" hype. It's. Waste of time. Get the best Mic you can that works well for your voice, practice like hell, sort out your room and get the best results you can. Who cares what the Mic is called of what it may or may not be close to.

Of course YMMV

Have a look at the RED5 Audio RV6 - and try not to be put off by the price, it's a VERY nice microphone.

Back